Chapter One: How Long Have You Known?

EDIT: Update schedule is on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons.

Lin's POV

    I was working on my computer, humming thoughtfully. After Hamilton had been catapulted onto the world stage, companies had started to take notice of his skills. Several, including Disney, had approached me with offers. I was currently working on a base tune for one of the songs for Disney's project - a new animated movie named Moana - when the door to the apartment opened and closed.

    Vanessa was home.

    "Hey honey," I called.

    "Lin," she said breathlessly. I looked up and smiled at her, wondering for the millionth time how someone as crazy as me had ended up with her.

    "Yeah?" I said. "You look rather out of breath. Something big happen at the law firm today?"

    "No, no, not at all. I've got bigger news."

    At once, I was anxious. "Did someone say something to you?"

    She smiled fondly at me. "No, Mr. Knight-In-Shining-Armor. Let me get a word in, would you?"

    I raised my hands in mock surrender. "Of course, my queen," I said.

    Vanessa's eyes sparkled, and she reached into her purse. There, nestled within the chapstick, wallet, and whatever else was in a woman's seemingly-endless purse, was a small box. She handed it to me.

    My breath caught in my throat. "No way," I said disbelievingly.

    In my hand rested a pregnancy test. A positive pregnancy test.

    "I'M GOING TO BE A FATHER!" I yelled, surging to my feet. The laptop clattered to my feet, unheeded.

    Vanessa nodded, her beautiful brown eyes shining with tears.

    I seized her hands and started to dance around the apartment like the fool I was, tears streaming down my face.

    "We've got to get a crib," I said once I'd calmed down. "And books! I need so many books. I don't know how to be a father! I'll take time off from Hamilton, the cast will understand. We've got to baby-proof the apartment. Oh my god, there's so much to do!"

    Vanessa pushed him down onto the couch and rested her head on his chest.

    "How about taking care of your pregnant wife?" she asked, her lips curling up in a smile.

    I bent my head and brushed my lips on hers. My long, unbound hair spilled across her face, and she coughed.

    "Hey," she complained. "Watch the locks, mister."

    "Oh, like this?" I teased, and swung my head from side to side, dragging my hair across her face.

    Vanessa sputtered with pseudo-indignation and slapped me lightly.

    "What happened to being the queen?" she said, crossing her arms.

    "Trust me," I said, looking into her chocolate eyes. "You'll always be my queen."

    She smiled gently. "You're going to be a wonderful father," she said, happiness glowing in her eyes.

    I placed my hands on her still-flat stomach, excitement jolting through me at the thought of our first child.

    "I will," I vowed. "Now, can I tell the Hamilcast?"

    Vanessa nodded. "Might as well. I'm having lunch with Jasmine, Pippa, and Reneé next week, and those three'll wrangle it out of me somehow. It's like they knew we were trying for a baby."

    I laughed. "Ah, yes. Those three are a force of nature. Besides, I doubt I could go a day without swelling up with pride and telling everyone."

*  *  *  *

Hamilchat

linnamonroll (Lin): Look out Anthony, I've got a new little actor lined up to play my child.

TurtleBoi (Anthony): ...

QueenRenee(Renee): is this what I think it is?!?!

Groffsauce (Groff): WE NEED TO PARTYY

the General (Christopher): Looks like you've secured your legacy :)

JazzHands (Jasmine): Pass my congrats to Vanessa! Looks like somebody in your relationship's got their head on straight.

*  *  *  *

    I laid my head on Vanessa's stomach, just marveling at the little baby - my child - in her.

    "I wonder who he'll look like," I mused.

    "So sure they're going to be a boy?" Vanessa teased.

    I gave her a dopey grin. "Of course," I said. "Look at me; it would be such a shame if my child doesn't look like me."

    Vanessa huffed teasingly. "Ah, such a smooth-talker."

    "You know it," I said. "That's why you married me."

    She gave me a glowing look full of love and hope for our future. This child would be the greatest vow of love we could give each other. My heart had never felt so full.

A/N: Hope you liked it!