Chapter Three- Elementary School

*DISCLAIMER* I DO NOT LIKE SEEING LITTLE KIDS HUNGRY- THIS IS ONLY A BACKSTORY. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ IT, SKIP THIS PART.

In fourth grade, the two of them were in the same class and had a schedule that was hard on the students' stomachs; first they had reading, then gym class- where Coach Gilroy worked the kids like they were in boot camp- then maths, then recess, and then lunch at one-thirty. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to them, but one thing was certain: it made certain that everyone had absolutely nothing left in their stomachs by lunchtime.
At the playground, there was a main area with all the equipment and an area with a bunch of fields for playing sports, and in the middle of the fields was a small group of trees where Asher and Hanna would often hang out. That small patch of trees was where they both discovered their love of stomach noises.
"Hi Hanna!" A ten-year-old Asher met his best friend at the base of the largest oak tree.
"Hi Asher!" A mini-Hanna hugged her best friend.
'How do you think you did on the math test?" Asher asked her about the big long-division test they'd been dreading.
"Okay, I guess." She shrugged, not really caring about math all that much, "How did you do?"
"I think I failed," Asher laughed.
"Yeah, Miss Higgins is a really bad teacher, all she does is complain about her husband."
"So I said, you really gonna go out and party on OUR aniversary? With his deadbeat poker friends? While I cook dinner? I oughta spit in that man's food, is what I oughta do- no, wait. Even better, have Chauncey do his business in his gravy." Asher struggled to keep from laughing while doing his terrible impression of their teacher.
Hanna couldn't keep herself together- she was almost peeing from laughter.
After she managed to stop laughing, she wiped the tears off her red face, and her stomach snarled at her.
"Haha, are you hungry?"
"Hmm, I don't know... Are you hungry, Miss Tummy?" She rolled up her shirt and rubbed her stomach, "Asher, I think Miss Tummy wants to talk to you."
"I better listen then," Asher got down and put his ear against her stomach and it growled loudly. He looked up at Hanna's face, "I think she said yes."
"Haha yeah." Hanna rubbed her misection, "You know why it's so loud today?"
"Why?"
"I didn't eat breakfast this morning."
"Why not?"
"I'm trying to see how long I can go without eating."
"Why would you do that? Doesn't that make Miss Tummy upset?"
"Yeah, but I like when she talks to me. It feels good, haha."
"How long have you been doing that?"
"I didn't eat breakfast this morning, I skipped dinner last night because my parents were out shopping and told me to heat up some leftovers and I didn't wanna eat, and I didn't eat lunch or breakfast yesterday, either. Sooo.... A day and a half, I think."
"Wow Hanna, that's crazy. Is that why your tummy was growling so loud in math class?"
"Yeah haha, I was starving."
"How much longer are you gonna go for?"
"I think I'm gonna eat dinner tonight." Hanna said, rubbing her stomach, "I'm getting so hungry it's starting to hurt."
"You can have some of my lunch today if you want."
Hanna smiled, "Thanks, Asher."