Chapter 21

"Var, you're a damned fool," shouted Aunt Nott.

Nandi, my aunt's faithful assistant, patted her shoulder. She shook off his hand and continued to rant at my beloved. "What are you going to do, stay here in Ered Luin all by yourself, until these idiots get back? If they get back at all!"

Var held her temper admirably. "No, I'm going home. I have business concerns to attend to in Gabil inbar, and I've been away too long. When Dwalin is ready," she smiled at me, and I could have sworn Mahal's forge had never glowed brighter, "he will find me there."

I nodded and took her hand in mine. I was too choked up to speak.

Nori had found us in the small and dingy inn, and summoned us to my aunt's offices. The star-haired thief stood beside me now, twitchy and eyes darting around. It seemed that Madam Virtue had taken a shine to him, but he insisted that he and his brothers were irrevocably committed to the Quest for Erebor.

When we walked into the Guildhall offices, we discovered that Var and I weren't the only people at this meeting. Apparently, the purpose of the gathering was to give my aunt a chance to yell at all the members of the Line of Durin, jointly and severally.

Thorin stood to one side, brow furrowed, looking oddly uncertain. His sister Dis had her arms folded tightly to her chest and her lips pressed together. Her sons, Fili and Kili, stood behind her looking as eager as only young dwarves can look.

On the divan, Gloin looked determined, but beside him, his wife Fulla tapped her foot impatiently. Oin, whose ear-trumpet was stowed in his pocket so that he was unable to hear anything, sat in a comfortable chair smiling faintly at one and all.

Aunt Nott rounded on Dis. "And what have you to say for yourself, young woman? Letting your sons go off with their crazy uncle?"

Dis' cobalt eyes flashed magnificently. She was nearly as tall as her brother, and shared his dramatic coloring. She lifted her chin and planted her hands on her hips.

"My sons are the Heirs of Durin, after my brother. Now it is a hollow title, an empty phrase. If they can reclaim the kingdom our people have lost, then they will have earned the right to call themselves kings." Then she frowned down at the ground, and sighed heavily. "They are my treasure, and it is not easy to let them go."

"Bah," said Aunt Nott.

"We have a wizard-" Thorin began.

"Yes, yes, I know." Aunt Nott interrupted. She got to her feet and paced back and forth behind her desk. "But I'm worried about you all."

Thorin nodded. I could tell from his expression that he understood her concerns, but at this point, there wasn't anything new to say on the subject. He drew in a breath. "I'm leaving today for a meeting of all seven clans, and I'm in hopes that Dain will join us in the Quest. Having the Army of the Iron Hills at our side would be a great advantage."

"Good. That's good," Aunt Nott said. She sat back down.

Thorin continued. "So I will be meeting the rest of the company at the home of Gandalf's burglar, in the Shire. Dwalin, will you accompany me to the clan meeting?"

I shook my head, and put my arm around Var. "I can't. I'm escorting Var back to Gabil inbar. But I'll join you in the Shire."

Var smiled at me. We would have to make good time on our trip, I knew. But I wasn't going to leave her to journey all that way alone. It wasn't that I didn't trust Aunt Nott's guards for the caravan of goods she would be traveling with, but...at least this way, we'd have a few more days to ourselves.

"Sweet hammer of Mahal, Thorin, you can't travel all that distance by yourself," Aunt Nott said. "You have the worst sense of direction! You'll end up in Harad, for pity's sake."