Chapter Three

I fidgeted in my dress.

Today was my cousin's graduation and I couldn't believe he asked me to come as well. Hmm, maybe the time in college really did teach him. I was eighteen, and Aunt Heather had finally allowed me to get a car. I think she liked Sally too, she let her stand in the house for twenty seconds before chasing her out.

So I drove Sally and me here, since Sally the Salty had insisted in coming. I didn't know how I drove in this ugly silver dress, but I did. Silver and red doesn't clash well together, but that was the only dress I had. And Aunt Heather would not buy me another one, no matter how many times I asked her during the afternoon.

"What job did your cousin apply for?" Sally asked me, her eyes glittering. Her eyes were a pale sharp amber and I loved it, it was so fiery unlike my gentle blue. How was I gentle in any ways?

"I think, engineer." I said back, but my eyes were squinting in the daylight, trying to see where my cousin was. "Or possibly some kind of game creator. He spent half his life in his bedroom, plopped on the chair, his eyes glued to the computer. It's a surprise he isn't wearing glasses."

Me and Sally shared a laugh. No matter how giggly, or flirty Sally was, we always found something to laugh about together. And Allie was glad for me, since she was also worried for a few weeks because she also had a new best friend Zanya. Life can go in different directions, and people can change.

I smile and Sally suddenly hushed me.

The speech was about to begin. My cousin's slim figure looked out of place up there on the stage, but everyone automatically moved away for him to walk to the microphone. My eyes were glued on him. My cousin, who had teased, bullied, and mocked me in my early years in Aunt Heather's household. Now he was graduating from college, and going to have a new start.

"He's grown so much hasn't he?" I spun around to see my cousin's girlfriend, Bella. She was kind to me, and almost like a second mother. What happened to my mother? My real mother?

She died a few months ago. I was always glad for Bella to be there, an extra shoulder to cry on when I miss my mom. Which isn't frequent since Sally had occupied most of my time.

"He did." I replied to say something nice. "Are you guys married yet?"

Bella shook her head. "We are, in a few weeks." She held up her hand, and I saw the sparkly blue diamond ring on her ring finger. "He proposed a month ago."

I grinned, it was sincere. I was truly happy for Bella and my cousin. I hope they tell stories about me to their children. Bella then disappeared into the crowd, and Sally appeared by my side. She had placed her hair in a bun this morning, but it was coming loose.

"He finished the speech, who were you talking to?" Sally glanced at me.

I just looked at her. "Bella. My cousin's soon-to-be wife."

It took her a second to decipher what I just said and she grinned, with her two dimples appearing again. I shook my head and nudged her playfully. Sometimes Sally was slow to catch up.

"Have you gotten a boyfriend yet?" Sally asked me. I glanced at her a bit guilty.

"I know you said I had to get a boyfriend by the end of this month..." I started, but she placed her hand over my mouth, now laughing.

"Of course you didn't." She teased. "You stayed single for a long time. Keep up the work girl."

I push away her hand, and didn't smile. Instead, I thought about what happened before, and how Allie use to be there and other people as well as Sally. They had made a great impact on my life, making me laugh and love.

I compared it to the arts she made when I was always in my room, the white board standing there, begging me to paint it. Allie was a soft green, making my life interesting and daring, Bella a soft pastel yellow, bright and cheerful, blocking out every negative thought. And Sally? She was the pastel pink, the flirt and best friend who will stay by your side.

I thought about it again.

It now really seemed true that a splash of color could change your life, including mines.