Chapter Two

Today is my seventeen birthday.

It isn't like anyone will come, since I have no friends. I stare distantly out the window, as I settle down the bed with my cat. My cat was Rose, a "gift" from my nice cousin for once. Or maybe it was saying goodbye and leaving me with Aunt Heather. My cousin had just left for college a few months ago. Didn't even stay to celebrate my birthday.

Rose batted at my hair and I protest.

"Rose, you naughty cat!" I squealed, careful not to be too loud.

It was sunrise, and my Aunt Heather always sleep in late. So I make my own breakfast, which was usually milk and bread. It tastes bland all the time. Rose gave me a reproachful look, saying 'I can do whatever I want.'

Allie had moved. I shared tears with her the last week she was here. Which was exactly last week. She must be happy, I thought wistfully. She has more friends than me now. How I know this? I texted her a bunch of times yesterday and she hasn't replied. It wasn't like Allie at all. She always replied in a hour or less.

"I'll make breakfast." I told Rose. She looked at me, now a hungry gleam in her eyes. "Be quiet so I can get it up here alright?" Of course cats can't talk, but I always know Rose understood since she kept quiet during these few minutes. Always.

I slip out of the bed, my feet touching the cold ground. I found my slippers, under my bed. Like always since Rose loved to snuggle on it. I don't get why cats do the most weirdest things. I felt sad, knowing that no one was where to celebrate my seventeenth birthday.

Aunt Heather would give me new earrings as always. You should see my bathroom, a whole cabinet was filled with earrings she always buys. Christmas, New Year, she always buys me earrings. I really don't wear them, but I do when she's around, placing on a fake smile like always.

And you know what else I feel sorry about? Myself. I don't have a boyfriend. Bingo. No family+No life+No boyfriend, that would equal me. I don't have a love life. I mean, if you count trying to flirt, maybe. But I get dumped everything okay? I was now tiptoeing down the stairs, my slippers barely making any sound.

Aunt Heather is a light sleeper. I must be careful at all times. And after I ate my breakfast up in my pitiful room with Rose, I changed into my clothes, since I didn't think being in my pajamas was really sophisticated. I would never get a boyfriend that way. I was in the bathroom, checking my reflection when I noticed something.

Allie texted me.

Alli-Gator🐊|You know, I really wished you were here!! Happy birthday. XOXO

Just that one message made my day.

It even made me brave enough to go outside!

Allie was the work of a master. I stiffly walked out, without my hood this time. No luck. The neighborhood was empty. Maybe I was up too early...it clearly isn't the first time. I sighed in defeat and took this chance to text back to Allie. It was five minutes ago. Hm, five minutes ago, I was still in my room with Rose on my lap. Maybe she was purring too loud and I didn't hear the ping! of my phone.

Yeah, that's probably it.

"Hey,"

I look up. It was another girl, with a bright and big smile. She had brown hair that was glossy in the sunlight. I felt weak, and ugly in comparison next to her.

"Uh, hi?" I managed to squeak out. I scolded myself, I was being too shy! Why can't I talk like how I talk with Aunt Heather and my cousin? It was annoying.

"What's your name?" She asked. "I seen you around, with that girl in a silver shiny car?" She said in a questioning tone.

"That's Allie," I said, starting to feel comfortable for some reason. "I'm Emily. I live rot here." I pointed at Aunt Heather's house right behind me. "And yeah, Allie has a silver car."

"Bingo!" The girl grinned again, two dimples appearing. "My name is Sally. I'm live over there." She pointed I'm the direction of a couple of houses but I could decipher which one.

"Hello Sally." I greeted her now more formally. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

She grasped my hand. I tried my best not to flinch, it has been a while since someone touched me. "No need to be formal! Now that we know each other, I want to know you more!" She said excitedly.

I suddenly found what was missing from my life.

A new best friend named Sally.

How did I not notice her sooner?