Chapter 5

When I arrived home last night it was already 7:30 and since I don't have a car I have no choice but to walk back which took around 30 minutes. Millie and Archie were cuddled up on the couch under a blanket watching a movie. They must have heard me come in because they both turned around.

"Hey Soph," Archie said and continued to watch the tv. Millie however politely asked him to move his legs from on top of hers and walked over to me.

"We ordered take out tonight, there are leftovers in the fridge," Millie took a seat on the bar stool. I thanked her and laid the pizza box on the opposite side of the island.

I took a slice and listened to Millie talking about her day, "and then this guy asked me where the birthday cards were and I said that I would take him there, that was like the biggest mistake of my life because you know who..." she gestured to Archie over her shoulder, "...thought that he was trying to come onto me and tried to intervene." She burst out laughing and I did too. Archie, however, is giving us death glares from the couch but stays silent. He knows better than to try and defend himself, he never has been able to win against Millie.

"But the funniest thing was this guy just wanted to buy a birthday card for his boyfriend," this caused me to laugh even harder and almost choke on my food.

"No way!" I screamed and threw my head back laughing. Millie and I continued to talk for about an hour or so and I tell her about my new position and the college Dominic and I are going to tomorrow. Before it gets too late I decide I need to get everything ready so that I wouldn't have to rush in the morning.

"So what time do you have to be up?" Millie asked as she followed me into my room. I began looking through my closet for an outfit.

"I have to be at the office for 6 am so I need to be up at 5 to leave by half past," I tell her and remove a pencil skirt from the closet and hang it on the door.

"Gosh, that's ridiculously early. I can't believe it'll be your second day as an assistant journalist and they are already expecting so much from you."

"It's not like I'm going alone, Millie. Dominic will be there too."

"Tell me about this mysterious man," she teases.

I think for a moment. What is there to tell her about? He's just a colleague and now I'm his assistant and as she already said, tomorrow is only my second day which means that there's still so much to learn about him. I found myself smiling at that thought, it'll be good to make some friends here other than Millie and Archie.

"Handsome?" She whispered obviously not wanting Archie to hear, although he did as she shouted excuse me from the other room.

I nodded and shrugged. "He is attractive I can't deny that," I giggle but it quickly passes as I found myself comparing him to Noah. Noah's hair is brown, the sides are cut short and the top is relatively long but always styled to perfection whereas Dominic's hair is a dirty blonde and fairly long and styled backwards. "But something really strange happened today...this girl who works in the IT department warned me to be careful because he's a jerk."

"All of the hot ones are," Millie says.

"I'm not a jerk," Archie protests from the other room.

"Are you going to listen to our conversation all night?" Millie shouted back rolling her eyes dramatically. I know it doesn't actually bother her, she is far too in love to actually get annoyed over something so pointless, but still, she shut my bedroom door. She turned back to me, "Are you going to keep your distance?"

"Well I don't see how that's possible, we are supposed to be working closely together," she raises an eyebrow. "My bosses words not mine," I add.

The rest of the night continues the same, Millie asking me questions about my job and my new partner while I type up the notes Dominic asked me too. I answer all of her questions- she seems to have a lot but I don't think anything of it because I also take an interest in her work. Another hour or so later I decide to get some sleep (not that it will be easy) because I have to be up extremely early. The nerves start to kick in as I close my eyes. Tomorrow is my first day doing what I've always dreamt and I really don't want to mess it up.