Chapter Eight: It's not a freaking date! Part 1

I thought that not sticking to the script was just a one time thing. Though from then on, just about everybody made up their own lines.

I tried my best to say my scripted lines as much as possible. However, I eventually ended up going with the flow. And strangely enough, the whole making up our own script thing.... It worked. If you watched us practice, you would've thought that we were going to enter a contest for improv comedy, not a Film Festival.

While the whole improv thing worked out perfectly, the whole me being Mason's wife deal didn't.

It was always awkward and uncomfortable between the two of us, and we just couldn't seem to pull off the part. I thought that this casting choice might affect how well we do at Film Fest, so after the first practice in May, I asked Bridget, Ashley, and Charlotte to sleepover. I explained the whole dilemma to them to see what they thought.

"So... Yeah, that's about it. Do you think any of you could switch parts with me?"

"No way!" Charlotte immediately refused. Her answer was expected. I didn't really have much hope for her in the first place.

I looked to Bridget, but before I could say anything, she simply said, "Nope."

So I turned to Ashley, but she also shook her head. "Sorry Soph, but I don't think any of us should switch. I think you're the only one that can do it."

I raised my eyebrows. "What makes you say that?"

"Well..." She thought for a moment. "It's a really good way to get over the awkwardness going on between you guys."

"I guess so..." I shrugged. "The thing is, though... it's still awkward between us, even when we're acting."

"Because you guys only do that at practice!" Charlotte pointed out.

"What do you mean?"

"I think she's telling you to hang out with him outside of practice," Bridget rolled her eyes as if she just explained that one plus one equals two.

I thought about it for a moment. "I... I guess it couldn't hurt... But you mean just as friends, right?"

"Unless you want to go on a date with him," Charlotte winked.

I glared at her. "No. Just no."

So the next Monday before school, I found myself waiting for Mason in front of locker 904. I couldn't help but feel like all of this had happened before... I looked around and saw a couple making out like the world was going to end tomorrow, and that's what made me remember that this was exactly the setting when I tried to apologize to Mason.

Speaking of the devil, I spotted a certain blonde head above everyone else's in the crowd as he made his way towards his locker. I started to get a little nervous. What if he said no? What if he thought talking to me at practice was enough? What if he hated my guts all together and just quit the team right now?!

Get a hold of yourself, Soph, I thought as I took a deep breath. You're overreacting. Just casually ask him to hang out with you after school today! It's not that hard to do! I mean, you're just going as friends... Right?

"Morning, Mason!" I waved.

His face lit up when he saw me, taking me totally off guard. "Sophie, I've been looking for you everywhere!"

I blinked at him. "You... have?"

"Yeah! Because I was, uh... kind of wondering..." His voice seemed to die in his throat. He nervously scratched the back of his neck. "Are you free after school today?"

"Oh, um... I am, actually!" I grinned.

"Cool! Do you want to, uh... maybe hang out with me? You know, since you're free and all. And it wouldn't be like a date or anything, just like friends and all because you know that would kind of break the deal and-"

"Mason," I cut him off. He immediately stopped rambling. "I'd love to."

He smiled. "Great. I'll meet you by your locker after school, okay?"

I nodded. "Cool. Anyway, I think I should get to geometry. I'll see you later, okay?"

"Yeah... See you later!"

With that, I walked away, a big grin on my face. Well, that was easy.

****

"Someone looks happy!" Charlotte announced as soon as I walked into the band room two hours later. "I take it he said yes?"

Just at that moment, Alex Bennett, one of my friends happened to pass by and overhear this. He immediately stopped walking to give me a suspicious look and ask, "Wait Sophie, who did you ask out this time?"

Charlotte rolled her eyes at the boy. "No one, idiot. Now shoo."

Alex glared at Charlotte before turning to me. "Why didn't I hear about this?"

"Because I didn't ask anyone out," I groaned. "I'm just going to hang out with Mason after school today. That's all!"

His eyes grew wide as he screamed, "You're getting back together with that jerk?! Sophie, that's probably the dumbest thing you could ever do! Having him on your Film Fest team instead of me is one thing, but this is taking it way too f-"

"Alex!" I snapped, and he shut up. "It's not a date, and I'm not getting back together with him. I told you, we're just hanging out. You know, as friends."

He raised his eyebrows at me. "Of course you are. I'm going to go warm up now."

Alex waved goodbye to me as he walked away. I waved back and muttered out of the corner of my mouth to Charlotte, "He doesn't believe me does he?"

"Sophie..."

"What?"

"No one does."

And Charlotte was right. Everyone I told about hanging out with Mason after school always had a reaction like Alex. They either congratulated me on getting back together with him or told me that I had made a dumb move. Of course, I always denied it, but they never believed a word I said. To be honest, out of every reaction, I'd have to say Anna's was the most... interesting.

Halfway through fifth hour that day, she walked up to me, Mason, Joe, and Mark with a big smirk on her face. Our whole conversation immediately dropped when she crouched down in between Mason and I, looking back and forth between the two of us.

Finally, she literally sang, "So I hear you two are dating again."

I felt my face heat up as I snapped, "Wh-Where did you hear that?"

"A little birdy told me," she shrugged. "But that doesn't matter. It's true isn't it?"

"No," Mason said firmly, staring Anna straight in the eyes. I was surprised how well he managed to keep his composure. I would've expected him to be a blubbering mess like he was earlier this morning.

"Aw, really? That's too bad," Anna teased. She stood up, and began making her way back to her own team. "Tell me when you guys get back together, okay? I'd love to be the first to know."

As soon as she was back with her own little group, I turned to Mason, who was staring blankly at the table.

"Uh... Mason?" I said. He didn't move. "Mason?" I snapped my fingers in front of his eyes, and he literally jumped.

"Oh, uh... S-sorry," he muttered.

"Is everything okay?" I asked as he sat back in his seat.

"Fine, I... I'm fine."

I exchanged uneasy glances with Joe and Mark, but went along with it anyway.

But by the end of the day, Mason seemed to be in a lot better mood. As he made his way through the crowded hallway to my locker, he had a big grin on his face.

"Hey Sophie!" he greeted me. "How was your day?"

I shrugged. "I've had better, I guess."

"Well, that's too bad," he said. "Don't worry, though. I'm going to make it totally awesome!"

I forced myself to smile. "...Great."