Chapter Ten: The Amazing Race

After the whole Mason-and-Sophie-bonding-that-was-most-definitely-not-a-date, our acting improved... A lot. I'd say that we sounded pretty freaking convincing, and three short practices later, our team was ready to film the real thing with costumes and all.

I guess we didn't really need costumes though, since most of the team wore their normal clothes. The only people that actually had something somewhat formally planned out were Cody, Mason, and I. 

Cody wasn't exactly a little ray of sunshine when it came to his costume. He had perfect reason to, though! First off, rule number one of being Cody is wear nothing but t-shirts, jeans, and the same pair of tennis shoes every day. However, not many news anchors wear that, so we had to force him into a fancy-pants suit with a tie and all. What made that even worse for him is that it was the end of May, and it was burning hot outside. It's a good thing for him that we stayed inside during the whole video.

As for Mason and I, we thought it'd be a good idea if we somewhat match. After a lot of  saying we hate this and that, we finally settled on wearing a classic: A simple white t-shirt with blue jeans. I decided to wear a yellow and green plaid apron over my shirt and a matching yellow headband so I could pull off the whole mother look.

I thought I dressed up pretty nicely, but when Charlotte took one look at me, she started cracking up as if she'd seen the funniest thing ever. "You look more like a maid than my mom," she said in between laughs.

I jokingly punched her arm. "Hey, shut up. I can ground you, you know."

"Oh no, I'm so scared!" she gasped sarcastically, then quickly got serious. "So how are you feeling? You know, about filming the real thing?"

"Surprisingly, I'm more nervous for me than anyone else," I said, shrugging slightly. "I know for sure that you guys will do great, but I feel like I'll just be too tense and unnatural."

"Is it because of the Mason thing?"

"No, it's not that," I shook my head, a grin slowly making its way onto my face. "We're actually friends now."

"What?!" Charlotte shrieked. All the chatter in the room quickly stopped as everyone turned to see what had happened. When they saw that it was nothing, just Charlotte freaking out as usual, they all just went back to what they were doing, and she continued, "Sophie, you cannot and I repeat, cannot, become friends with that boy again!"

I raised my eyebrows. "Why not?" 

"Because that'll be breaking the deal you made with him!"

"Actually, that wasn't part of the deal," I pointed out. "We never said that we can't be friends. We said that we just can't... well, you know..."

"I do, for a fact, know what the deal was, but I also know you, Sophie," she said in a serious tone. "Before you know what's even happening, you'll be going back down the same road that you did last year, start falling for him, and that idiot is going to hurt you again."

I rolled my eyes at her. "Charlotte, that's not going to happen. Trust me. Been there, done that."

"Of course it won't," she said, not sounding like she entirely believed me. 

Before I could try to convince her, Joe called out, "Okay guys, get into your places!"

"I swear, that won't happen," I muttered to Charlotte before scrambling to my spot. I casually sat down on Mason's lap, giving him a small smile that he returned before turning to Joe.

"Ready?" he asked, and we nodded in reply. There was silence as he adjusted the camera. Finally, he said barely louder than a mutter, "And... Action."