Part 6 - the Hunt

Eshnunna’s name was not spoken again; the court donned no mourning, no ambassador asked what had become of her. It was as if she had never existed. But Susa could not forget her.

In the dark weeks that followed, she kept close to Ani. Her level-headed, plain-speaking sister was a rock for her to cling to, the only person that reminded Susa of who she was and where she came from.

Ashan, with a child’s enviable adaptability, had already adjusted to life as a Babylonian, and seemed to embrace his new identity, while Susa clung to her old one like a drowning man clings to a rock. She would never forget her home, and never give up hope of returning her son to it. She would be queen of Babylon someday – if she could build up enough influence with whichever prince she was forced to marry, perhaps she could persuade him to instil Ashan as governor there. Once Ashan ruled the place, a coup could be staged... even if it cost her own life, it would be worth it if they succeeded.

But she was getting ahead of herself, she knew. It would be a decade until Ashan was old enough to go on campaign with the army, let alone rule a city. And it had not even been decided which prince she would marry yet.

It was whispered that Hammurabi would settle the matter within the month. The King’s birthday celebrations were imminent – two weeks of festivities, feasts and games were planned, to culminate in a great hunt at the end of the fortnight. The rumourmongers said that whichever boy excelled in those days would be invested as crown prince.

Susa did not often see two princes, but when she was in their company, she was keenly aware of the simmering rivalry between them. Whatever they did, they strove to out-do each other. When one achieved something, it earned him a black look and a sour word from the other, and one’s disappointment was cause for the other’s celebration.

Though she had never had a full sibling to be a rival for her inheritance, Susa had never imagined the relationship could be so intense. With such a great prize at stake, they fought each other fiercely.

The outcome could never be happy – she was certain of that. She had read her histories. When brothers were rivals for power, whichever one gained it would have to do away with the other, or else risk a reign of instability and rebellion. One of these princes would not live to be an old man, she was sure.

Malku and Nisitu grew ever-more competitive as the opening of the celebrations drew near, even competing for Susa’s affections, as though her preference would have any effect on the outcome. They strove to out-do each other in courtesy and consideration for her, to win a smile or a kind word from her lips. Knowing full well that their affection stemmed from ambition, she was not fooled.

The tension boiled over at the very first feast of the festival. Fuelled and emboldened by wine, both princes made a beeline for Susa as soon as the formal part of the feast was concluded. Her heart sank as she saw them approaching, each quickening their steps in an attempt to beat the other. They arrived simultaneously, shoulders jarring as they bowed before her.

‘Your Highnesses,’ she returned the bow.

‘You look stunning this evening, princess,’ Malku’s thin lips stretched into a forced smile as he paid the compliment.

‘Like Ishtar come down to Earth,’ agreed Nisitu, baring small, even teeth in an imitation of his brother’s smile.

There was an awkward silence as they cast about for something else to say.

Susa suppressed a chuckle, tried hard not to roll her eyes. These poor boys – they had no idea how to woo a woman! Her heart had been wooed and won many years ago by a real man who was worth a whole army of these princelings. Their strained compliments and false courtesy would win them no love from her. She couldn’t wait to be rid of them – perhaps she could use their rivalry to her advantage.