Adam & Steve (Short Story)

Between Adam and Steve, Adam was the one who always woke up first. He was the light sleeper between the two friends. But this particular morning, it was Steve who woke up first. Bright, warm rays of sunshine hit Steve through the open windows in his bedroom. He squinted his eyes and brought up his hand to cover his eyes from the blinding light.

Adam was still sleeping on the other side of the room in Steve's huge bean bag chair. He'd fallen asleep with the remote control in his hand and another hand inside his pants, which gross but whatever.

Steve finally raised his head up high, starting to get annoyed with the fact that he couldn't run from the light. He wasn't even sure why the window was open; it was always closed. It must have been Adam who had opened it and just forgotten to close it again.

As Steve rose from his slumber, rubbing his eyes and letting his mind come alive, he realized that the sunlight had a very slight blue effect, like if someone was holding a blue clear screen in front of the sun.

"What," Steve said.

"Can you stop screaming?" Adam mumbled an unexpected reply.

"I didn't scream you asshole," Steve replied, throwing one of his pillows at him. "I said one quiet word."

"Words can speak a thousand words."

"Um, are you drunk? Cause that seriously made absolutely no sense. Also can you please close the window next time you decide to open it for whatever reason?"

Adam ignored him, popping his hand out of his pants and letting the remote control drop on the carpet floor. He sighed contently into the soft material of the bean bag chair and fell asleep again. Steve just rolled his eyes and looked around his room, now completely awake. His room was actually pretty clean, so he was happy about that. The only mess was the empty pizza box on the floor from last night.

Steve jumped out of bed and picked it up, walking out of his room to head downstairs to the kitchen where he mushed the box in half and shoved it inside the trash can. Something felt odd to him as he stood in the quiet kitchen. There was no smell of fresh coffee that his parents made every morning before work. He took a quick glance at the coffee pot on the kitchen island and it wasn't even plugged in or anything. Maybe they woke up too late and couldn't brew themselves a hot cup of coffee.

He grabbed a large cup and filled it with ice cold water and brought it upstairs to his room for Adam to drink.

"Hey, I bought you water. Also, if you masturbate on my bean bag chair again, especially while I'm asleep in bed in the same room, I won't hesitate to set you on fire," Steve told him as he stretched the cup towards Adam.

"Huh? Wha? I wasn't . . ." Adam blinked his eyes open. "Wait, was I masturbating?"

Steve shrugged. "You had your hand in your pants when I woke up."

Adam looked at him and one of his eyes flickered, just one. Steve held in his laugh, he wasn't going to laugh.

"You're a moron," Adam said. "I was probably just scratching. If I did masturbate in front of you, I assure you that you wouldn't ever find out."

"That's totally not creepy at all," Steve said sarcastically as he handed him the water. Adam gulped it down entirely in one go, giving Steve the cup back. "Nice."

"Thanks, it's one of my secret talents you don't know about." Adam got up, stretching and groaning loudly. Steve went into his bathroom to brush his teeth while Adam went straight to his phone and unplugged it from the wall, sitting on the bed while he got lost in the world of technology.