Adam & Steve: Reborn - Chapter Two

[Please don't forget to vote! And leave me comments while you're reading, I love checking them out and laughing at your reactions!]

Adam

I woke up to the violent sound of fire. The heat attacked my face in a sudden rush that I had no time to react, I was dragging myself out of the ship as it began to fall apart over me. My body experienced confusing sensations. On one hand I was feeling intense heat, and on the other I was freezing.

Something in the back of my mind told me to look back, to see the explorer before it burned to ashes, but I couldn't knowing my brother was dead. I half hoped that after the crash, after I blacked out, I would also go down with him. But here I was clawing my way out of the emergency door, my fingers digging into foreign ground.

Everything around me looked just like Earth, except a different color. There were mountains, but made of dirt and rocks. It felt very empty and abandoned. Then again, it wasn't really on the list of habitable planets.

A large boulder was visible from where I was. Slow and painfully, I got up and walked towards the rock. When I closed in on the rock, I touched and felt it before I sat back down and pressed my back against it. There was a lot of fire, but it wasn't as bad as I had assumed. It looked like most of the fire had already happened and it was now quieting down with the freezing temperature of this planet.

I was breathing heavily, and I knew that I needed to calm down and save oxygen. I sent out a stress signal, hoping someone out there would pick it up. I knew that our ship was capable of long distance communication, so I was fairly certain that the communication device in my suit could reach Earth. I recorded a message but was unable to finish it. My equipment was broken from the impact of the crash, I couldn't tell what worked and what didn't.

I watched the time on my arm, it was all I did for the next five hours, until someone answered my call and his name was Steve.

Steve was from Generations, it wasn't a very well known organization, but it also wasn't a secret. Strange things happened within Generations. Many people wanted to expose them, they wanted the truth out there for everyone to know. I knew a few things here and there, mostly from my brother, who wasn't even allowed to talk about it in the first place. It was all about weapons and technology, nothing really bad from what I knew. But they didn't want information out there for the enemies to just take and use against us.

Since I wasn't an expert on space exploration and science, I decided to listen to Steve. I went back to the ship, or what was left of it, and took what ever I could. It seemed almost impossible to do so in pitch black, but I had enough light coming from my suit to see what was in front of me, just not farther than a few feet.

As I looked through an emergency kit, I heard the first sound not made by the shipwreck. I panicked, my heart pounding against my chest. I dropped everything and spun around to look directly at the giant hole on the side of the ship from which I entered.

There was nothing but darkness. My light only barely showed what was in front of me. What ever made the sound was definitely outside. And it was watching me.

Before the ship went down, our crew made readings on nearby planets. It was unquestionable, the planets were empty. They could not sustain life, so how could a lifeless planet make noise like the one I heard?

Then I heard it once more. It wasn't the wind, it wasn't natural, it was something living. It sounded like an animal. One thing that was fairly obvious, any live creature felt hunger. What would an animal way out here with nothing around for miles be feeling at this exact moment?