28. "You're making me dizzy."

I did end up taking a nap in Damian's office. It was short and sweet. Sleeping sitting down wasn't comfortable and it made my neck ache but I still felt refreshed after it. This pregnancy was already draining all of my energy. I hoped this wasn't how it would be during the whole term.

A few moments after waking up, I walked to the window and was there when the door opened behind me. I turned around and saw Karen walking in. She was always showing up here.

I wasn't an idiot. I knew she still had feelings for Damian. I knew there was some part of her that still hoped they would end up together and there wasn't a doubt in my mind that Marianne had something to do with that. It was one of the reasons she was on my list.

"Rebecca," she said as she looked at me. "I heard you were here. How are you?"

"Hi, Karen. I'm good, thank you. How are you?"

She was wearing a pale pink pencil dress under her white lab coat with white pumps. She smiled as she walked to the file cabinet. "Good. It's been a busy day but it's almost over."

"Yeah, at least it's over," I said to make conversation. It wasn't that I disliked Karen. She had never done anything to me...that I knew of. She had always treated me with respect. My problem with her was the small part of her that hoped she could get back together with my husband. A woman in love with a forbidden man could be dangerous.

Damian walked in then and his brown eyes met mine. "I just finished my last consult. Did you want to go somewhere else?"

I glanced at Karen who looked uncomfortable as she made her hands busy with files. I looked back to Damian. "Actually, we can stay here if that's okay with you."

I didn't really want to have this conversation in a public place and there was no way in hell I was going to go to Marianne's house.

He smiled as he took off his lab coat. "Yeah, that's fine with me."

Karen cleared her throat. "I'll, uh, finish the paperwork and then head out."

"Thank you," Damian said.

She nodded. "Good seeing you, Rebecca."

"Thanks, you too."

She walked out closing the door behind her.

"I'm sorry you had to wait."

"It's okay, Damian. I didn't tell you I was coming..."

He walked closer to me with his hands in his pockets. "I wanted to apologize for, you know, what happened when I was in Nevada."

"You already did," I said looking at him apologetically. "I'm sorry I wasn't answering your calls. I was kind of angry at you."

He chuckled. "It's okay. I did act like an ass."

"Did everyone leave already?" I asked him as I took a seat on the couch.

"Mostly, yes. Karen and Wendy are probably finishing up the paperwork," he said as he sat next to me, our knees were touching and that casual touch made me warm inside. I missed him so much. I wanted to do nothing more than be in his arms, kiss him, but I knew we had to have this conversation. I didn't want to leave without telling him everything I needed to tell him.

"We need to talk..."

"So you've said."

I looked down at my lap as I bit my lip nervously.

"Rebecca-" Damian reached out and put his hand under my chin. He pulled it up gently so I would look at him. "You're making me nervous. Just tell me what you need to tell me, please."