10. "I used to do this a lot before, didn't I?"

Damian glanced at his phone for the third time since we sat down. I could tell he was uneasy about something but he hadn't said anything since we arrived.

He had brought me to an elegant restaurant which wasn't surprising. Damian was known for his extravagance which wasn't necessary every time but one couldn't stop him from going overboard. The restaurant was beautiful with chandeliers up on the ceiling and it was clean with classical music playing in the background and waiters wearing fancy uniforms with bow ties.

We hadn't gotten our food, we had just ordered when Damian looked down at his phone again.

"Is everything alright?" I asked looking at him.

He glanced up at me. "Yes."

"Damian." I half smiled at him to let him know it was okay.

This was known territory. Damian's time wasn't always mine. I understood that.

He sighed. "I'm so sorry. I just have to make a really quick call."

"It's okay." I said reaching for the glass of wine.

"I'll be right back." He said as he stood up. I watched as he walked across the room, around tables in all his grace. I had always admired how good he looked in suits. He walked outside-to the balcony. I could see him pacing as he dialed.

I looked down at the glass of red wine as I waited. It felt strange being on a date with Damian. Mostly because we hadn't really defined our relationship. We didn't know what was going to happen to us. Was this a good idea? That was the reason I hesitated earlier in the day when he asked me out. Then I thought about how he had kept my clothes all these years. He could have thrown them. Hell, he could have burned them but he didn't.

So I agreed. Besides, I wanted to go out with Damian. I wanted to go on a date with him like we used to before we got married. I wanted to pretend nothing was wrong.

Of course, those days were gone now and Damian's dreadful look as he walked back to the table was proof of that.

"I'm so sorry, Rebecca, but I have to go to the hospital."

"Is everything okay?" I asked as I stood up and reached for my purse.

He took out his wallet, took out some bills and put them on the table. "It's one of my patients." He said as we began to walk out. "She's giving birth."

"I thought you only treated children."

"I do. I'm treating the newborn." He said as he unlocked the car. "My father was actually their family doctor. He was the one who did the check-ups of Kelly and her sisters when they were born. He was good friends with her father." He continued as he started the car. "And now that he's gone-I've kind of taken over his job." His voice lowered as he talked about his dad. "Anyway," he continued as he drove. "Kelly is crowning so she will be giving birth soon. I'll do the check-up on the baby and if all is well, as my predictions are, it shouldn't be long."

I nodded slowly. "I thought the hospital doctors did check-ups?"

I was so ignorant on Damian's job, it was ridiculous. I realized I never really bothered to ask him about it.

"They do most of the time." He explained as he looked at the road. "Unless the family asks if their children's doctor can do it. It's just better. That way, I'll have the baby's records from the start instead of having to wait to have them transferred."

"Oh, okay, that makes sense." I said.

He turned to glance at me as he stopped before a red light. "I'm so sorry again, Rebecca."