Rebels and Traitors

Rebels and Traitors

The crowd parted before me as I approached the centre of the grand courtyard, whispers trepidation running through the masses. On the centre platform stood five men, four of them gagged, all with their hands shackled behind them. These were the great military leaders of the Emerald City: General Jackson Sheppard and his four lieutenants.

On either side of the stairs leading to the platform stood Ripper and Thomas, each backed by a small battalion of Dark Soldiers and their own men. I ascended the platform, followed by my two generals, and addressed the crowd.

“Gentle people of Oz!” I shouted, silencing all whispers present. “Before you stand the leaders of the resistance! These five men were the sparks of rebellion in last night’s battle! Though they claim loyalty to the crown, after my ascension to the throne, they continued to oppose me and my rule! They have forsaken their oaths and attempted to overthrow the king! For the crime of high treason, I proclaim these men to be enemies of the crown and sentenced to death!”

Murmurs broke out within the crowd, whispers and shouts of disbelief and despair. “They bear no oath to serve a false king!” one person shouted out from the crowd. I flicked my wrist, and screams rose from that immediate area as the man’s head exploded, showering the people near him in fresh blood.

“All who oppose me shall suffer the same fate!” I shouted angrily. I quickly composed myself and turned to the prisoners. “I shall allow General Sheppard to speak his final words.” The general walked forward and cleared his throat.

“Good people of the Emerald City, I implore you, do not despair. We must remain strong in the face of tyranny. One day, a rightful ruler will reclaim the throne of Oz. We must be hopeful and persevere to that day! And while the Good Witch Glinda yet lives, we cannot lose hope! The hope that one day, she will rid us of this false king and take back the throne!”

The crowd cheered at the general’s words as a cold rage grew within me. Even this close to his death, the people was still inspired by the general’s speech. A voice this strong among the people was a dangerous thing, and had to be dealt with. But not necessarily snuffed out…

As the peoples cheers continued, I pulled Thomas aside and whispered an order in his ear. He flashed a fanged grin and nodded. As he returned to his post, I silenced the people.

“Good people of Oz, I am pleased to inform you that I hereby revoke my sentence over General Sheppard.” Dull whispers of confusion swarmed through the crowd. “Instead, I hereby demote him to captain, and name him my new royal consultant!” Immediately, a roar of objection rose from the former-general.

“Are you mad!? I will never serve you!” he shouted.

I chuckled darkly as a devilish smile grew across my face. “I think you’ll find that I can make you an offer you can’t refuse, Captain.” I waved my cane at a group of Dark Soldiers, transferring them their orders. Immediately, they marched into the crowd and pulled a woman and two young girls to the platform. They were forced to their knees as the soldiers drew their blades and held them at the hostages’ throats.

“Now if I'm not mistaken,” I shouted at Sheppard, a dark, threatening tone resonating through my voice, “these three ladies are your wife and daughters. Am I right, Captain?” He nodded, tears streaming down his face.

“P- Please. Please don’t kill them.” he begged, his voice cracking as he trembled with fear for his loved ones.

I threw my head back and laughed. “Oh don’t worry Captain, I’m not going to kill them. You are.” I nodded my head at Thomas and he leaped forward. He grabbed Sheppard by the top of his head and the shoulder, and sank his teeth deep into the captain’s exposed neck. Shrill screams pierced the air from Sheppard’s family as thick red blood streamed down his neck. Sheppard’s face was contorted in agony as he wailed with pain. Finally, Thomas released him before the bite could kill him. He fell to his knees, weak from blood loss.

I tipped his head up with my cane as the blood flow stopped and the flesh knit back together. I promptly kicked him swiftly in the chest, sending him sprawling on the floor of the platform. As I walked closer to him, I stabbed him in the stomach with the end of my cane. Dark, thick blood pooled at the end of the black metal staff.

“Captain Jackson Sheppard, you have been bitten by a werewolf,” I muttered darkly to him, just loud enough so him and his family could hear me, and I could hear their sobs of fright. “On the next full moon, one month from now, you will go through the change. You will be locked in one of the cells beneath the palace. And with you will be your wife and daughters. They will watch you go through every agonizing second of the change, and when you become the ravenous beast, you will slaughter the people that mean the most to you in this world. This will happen, Captain, if you don’t comply.” I pulled my cane out of his stomach and let the threat hang in the air. Fresh sobs rose from Sheppard’s wife, and frightened whimpers from his children who didn’t quite understand what was happening.

Sheppard groaned and stood up shakily. “I’ll do it.” he whispered, defeated.

I grinned maliciously. “Excellent decision Captain. I expect you to be in the throne room tomorrow, early. We have a lot of work to do fixing this city.” I turned and began to walk away, before stopping. “Oh yes, that’s what I forgot to do.” I snapped my fingers and the heads of the four men exploded simultaneously, washing the platform and everyone around it red with fresh, hot blood. “Much better.” I muttered to myself as I resumed walking.