The Siege of the Emerald City Part 1

I appeared in a blast of red smoke in the middle of the Emerald City courtyard, a tribute to my mother’s famous entrance. I was met with dozens of shocked screams, and even more when the crowd saw my face. I looked around as they stood there in terror, spying for familiar faces. I noticed Ripper and a few of his men, hidden among the crowd. Deep in the shadows, I saw a couple of Veera’s assassins, ready to strike. After a moment of this, I realized I should probably say something.

I spread my arms and gestured to the crowd. “Greetings, people of Oz! You know not of me, but I know of you! I am Ronan! And you pathetic maggots need no introduction. You refused to give up the life of a stranger, and in doing so, took another. And now you’ve incurred the wrath of one much greater than the life you took!”

“What are you talking about?” a poor soul shouted from the crowd. He was met with an arrow in his eye from an unseen place, bringing fresh screams to the terrified crowd as he crumpled to the ground.

“I don’t have time for this. Glinda!” I shouted. “Come out witch! Show yourself! For if you don’t…” I left the threat unfinished as I pointed my cane at a man. The gem glowed, and he crumpled to the ground, his body wracking with pain. A few people crouched down to help him, but suddenly he screamed. His stomach tore open and a swarm of rats came running out of his body cavity. The people around him jerked back and fresh screams filled the air.

“I can think of worse fates than rats Glinda…” I threatened. “Much worse... I promise you that.”

I waited a moment, and as I was about to summon another curse, the main doors of the castle swung open and Glinda the Good came strutting out of the castle, a crew of twenty guards in tow. Her flowing white dress and cloak did nothing to hide the fact that she was with child, and she seemed to be only a couple months away from giving birth. I studied her face with a small smirk. She had a look of determination and courage, but her eyes gave away the true terror she was feeling.

“So good of you to join us Glinda.” I said, my voice seething with sarcasm. “And here I thought you were about to miss all the fun.”

“You,” she whispered, her eyes widening with realization. “You're the man in the smoke! Who are you? I demand to know what you want!”

I waved my cane and a few commoners collapsed, their eyes burned out of their skulls. “You are in no place to be making demands of me, witch!” I shouted. “But I suppose you’re entitled to know. As I said, my name is Ronan. I am the Warlock of the West, the last wicked entity of Oz.”

“That can’t be,” Glinda said, her voice finally showing the terror her eyes had betrayed. “Theodora was the last wicked sorcerer in Oz, and she was killed almost a year ago!”

“Yes, funny you should mention my mother,” I said, watching Glinda’s shocked look when I said the word ‘mother’. “That is very much the reason I’m here. You and your pawn, that mortal from the other world, you took her from me. And I’m here to see that you pay.”

“Mother…” the witch whispered. “No one knew Theodora had a son…”

“Mother raised me in secret. She trained me in the dark arts in preparation for this day. If only she had lived to see it…”

“What is it you want Ronan?”

I took off my hat and ran my fingers through my dark hair. “I will give you one chance to surrender Glinda. Surrender the city to me, and no further lives will have to be lost.”

Glinda thought for a moment, and then shook her head. “The Emerald City has survived worse attacks than a stray sorcerer. We will persevere, as we always have.”

“Even with most of your army dead or dying from my plague, you still believe you can survive me? Fine. I gave you your chance for survival and you spat it back into my face. Your fate is your own.”

I watched the sky as the sun finally set and the full moon appeared, big and bright in the night sky. I raised my cane above my head and summoned a massive crack of thunder, signalling my troops. Incredible battle cries were heard outside the city as my army charged.

My warriors inside the city revealed themselves, assassins jumping from the shadows and mercenaries drawing their blades. Ripper drew a pair of twin scythes and started tearing into the closest civilians while Veera rained arrows from above. But the true spectacle came from Thomas and his clan.

As the full moon rose, they began tearing at their clothing. Their faces elongated and their bodies grew. They sprouted thick, course hair all over their bodies and grew vicious fangs and claws. After a moment of watching them in glee, a bloodcurdling howl rang through the city as the tribe of werewolves began to attack.

Soon, parts of my army were storming the city on all fronts. The sky was lit with dragon-fire, while the ground came alive with newly-risen corpses. All who tried to escape were brought down by my warriors.

Glinda looked at her city in a panic, and ordered her guards to retreat into the castle. Bells in the towers were ringing, signalling they were under attack. A werewolf attempted to go after the witch, but I held it back with my magic.

“Not yet,” I told it. “First we take the city, and then we go after her.” The beast nodded and went back to the carnage.

I looked around in pure bliss at the rampant destruction before me. I looked down at my clothes as they began to morph. My coat and shirt melted into my body, transforming into a pure black breastplate and gauntlets. My trousers did the same, changing into black greaves. My hat also changed, morphing into a simple black battle helm. I twirled my cane into a sword and summoned bolts of lightning to strike buildings surrounding me.

“Destroy them all!!” I shouted, brandishing my sword. Then I leapt into the battle.