Chapter 8

Hunter was recovering well, and within a couple of days, he was back to his former self. Bruises and cuts still ached, but he was able to walk and boss people around. I begged Mr. Dorsey to fix the windows on the navigation room because I couldn't sleep another night on the same room as him. He wouldn't talk to me anymore, he avoided me like the Plague and it was hard not to take it personally, honestly. I knew he was only being professional and almost respectful, but listening to him sleeping on his bed, watching him walking around with no shirt on – to be fair, I was always pretending to be fast asleep -, was just too much.

I saw him on the quarterdeck with Sylas, arguing about the ripped sail, on the supplies we had lost during the storm and how getting some more would slow us down. I couldn't understand how he could be appealing to me; nothing to do with his physical appearance, to me he was almost flawless with chiselled abs, colourful skin and warm body. He was a deadly pirate, the enemy, he was making money out of my misery... and still, every time he looked at me with his intense blues, I was lost, my body turned into scalding water, my mind couldn't make one coherent thought. I was gone with only one look, one small touch, one... one kiss.

"Fuck!" I heard one of the pirates grunt; his name was Gus and he was a short and stout funny looking men with only one tooth "Captain!"

I frowned at where he was looking and gasped as the mighty Terror appeared behind a small abandoned rocky island – as if they had been expecting us. My heart was jumping on my chest, and the entire crew ran to meet Gus and me on the balustrade.

"God have mercy..." Mr. Dorsey grunted "That dog..."

"He will not give it up, will he?" I tossed.

"Don't look like it, Miss" It was Gus who answered.

"Everyone, on your stations!" I heard the Captain yell from the quarterdeck; all the men were swift to follow his orders "Ready on the guns! Dorsey, on the helm. Sylas!" The Spaniard was by my side with Gus "Take her to the island. Gus, you join them."

"No!" I grunted as Sylas grabbed my hand "I'm not going anywhere."

"C'mon, carino!" Sylas grunted, certainly feeling embarrassed at my stubbornness.

"No!" I grunted again, pulling my arm from his hold "Captain!" I yelled, and the man himself looked at me, irritated "A word?"

"You will do as you're told." He grunted blue eyes as cold as icicles "Sylas."

The Spaniard sighed and pulled me again. I had had enough with other people deciding on my life for me. This was me taking back control, even if flimsy and short-lived.

"If you fight that man, you will kill your crew, and lose your money" I tossed at the Captain as Sylas tried to drag me.

The Captain sneered at me. It hurt, his coldness and distance, more than it should... more than just acceptable.

"Diplomacy, Captain, is the future." I tossed, as Sylas gave up on trying to drag me; I rearranged my hat and patted the wrinkles on my dress "Allow for him to board. We should meet and discuss a strategy that is favourable for the three sides."

"And why would he even do that, may I ask?" The Captain tossed, sceptical.

"Because he only has two options" I started, showing my fingers "which will help him win. Number one, he can attack you, but he risks killing me, and a lot of his crew. Number two, if he allies with you on this bounty, he is certain to get a cut."

"Why wouldn't he just risk attacking and taking you?" Mr. Dorsey tossed.

"Because I would make sure he wouldn't see a penny. I would prefer to jump into the ocean than go anywhere with that man." I grunted, flashes of Lawrence crossing my eyes; I shook my head to clear the fog "Should he dare do that, my father would not pay for his... dishonoured daughter" I made sure to whisper the last part for Sylas, Mr. Dorsey and the Captain's ears only.