Chapter 6

I was trembling under my lavender dress, wavy red hair combed and pinned under my hat, hands over my flat stomach and back straight - the figure of a lady. There it was, the Cassandra, Commodore Westford's beloved ship, nor a mile away from where we stood, on the sands of a deserted island a day's journey from Tortuga. There, Captain Grey would make the exchange - my brother, for the Governor's consent he would get the payment to have me back safe and sound, sharp.

I sighed, my lips trembling as the air went out, in one swift movement. Simon smiled, by my side, under the hot sun and blue sky; he patted my shoulder and squeezed it to make me relax. Captain Grey stood in front of us sided by Sylas; Mr. Dorsey and one of the other pirates sided Simon and me.

"Don't worry, everything will be ok, you'll see" My brother assured me "you'll be home in no time."

"Please... stay safe." I begged him, grabbing his hands and kissing them softly "Don't make me go back there to be alone."

"Never." He smiled and tensed as Commodore Westford arrived at the beach with three of his men "Here goes nothing..."

Simon took one step forward but Mr. Dorsey put a large hand over my brother's chest and did not allow him to go.

"Not your turn yet, boy" The chubby jolly man smiled.

Captain Grey and Sylas approached the Commodore, and I tensed. Charles was the epitome of the elegant man, with his very dark grey wig, pristine uniform, cold green eyes, and long nose. Yes, he was attractive, but he wasn't a man you would like to be alone with. Rumour has it he liked to get a bit handsy - some of our own maids had turned up crying every time they had to meet Commodore Westford alone. When daddy announced his interest in me becoming his wife, I wanted to laugh - he was only interested in my title and my father's influence, of course, not in me per say.

"I can't hear them." I whispered at Simon, trying to translate the men's gestures a good few yards away "Damned it all! I should be there - this is mostly about me anyway."

Simon was about to argue, but both Captain Grey as Commodore Westford looked back at us. I swallowed hard - was this it? Were they taking my brother away now? Sylas went back towards us, and Simon sighed heavily. Before my brother could say his goodbyes, Sylas gestured for me.

"He wants to talk to you," The Spaniard said, to which my eyebrows went up.

"Why in the world would he want to talk to me?!" I snorted.

"Well, you are his fiancée" Simon chuckled.

"Just wait until I get home and we will see if I will marry him" I tossed, my nose up in the air, as I joined Sylas midway.

He escorted me back to the two men; when Charles saw me, he smiled foundling - I wanted to gag, but I merely curtsy.

"Milady..." The Commodore sighed, grabbing both my hands to kiss them "How you've been missed!"

"I can only imagine your distress, Commodore" I kept a frown on "Must be terribly hard and stressful to wonder how your fiancée must be doing on a ship filled with pirates."

"My dear, you look positively drained!" He sighed, his long white fingers came up to touch my cheek, where a tiny cut still lingered and dropped to my neck, where Lawrence's big hands still called home "What has been done to you?!"

"An accident, milord." I tossed, shrugging; I wished I could've seen Captain Grey's annoyed face "Nothing serious. Now, I believe you are here to make sure I am not in with these pirates in all of this nonsense, am I correct?"

"Milady-" Charles started, annoyed.

"Please, don't. This is exactly why you are here. Very well, take this statement back to my father: I am here by force and I wish to go back home as soon as possible. I would suggest my father arrange payment promptly. Also, you will care for my brother until that happens, as if you will not, I will slice my own wrists and jump into the ocean."