House of Bells: Chapter 8

Eight

The morning was overcast with thick clouds. A heavy rain was coming soon. Silas only hoped that it would wait until after their appointment at the high school. The meeting with Mrs. Reed went well. Silas knew her well. She was a stout, kindly woman with a messy gray bun on top of her head, and piercing hazel eyes.

He arrived before Min, but didn't say much. He was still a little sullen that she had gotten her way and didn't reschedule the appointment. The way she did that baffled him. One second, he almost convinced her to stay in bed and rest for the next couple of days, the next, she stared into his eyes and he melted. "That won't be necessary, Silas," she said, her voice silky and caressing. A heart attack worked its way up, but suddenly she looked away and he felt normal again.

What did she do to him? Was doing to him?

And he felt a little smug also, seeing her walk into that school office. No sleep had given her dark circles and a pallid complexion. She tried to mask it with makeup, but she still looked sick. That woman was as stubborn as a pile of rocks.

Mrs. Reed's purpose was to familiarize her with the older girls' courses and activities at school. She did mention Melissa's behavior problems briefly and wanted to elaborate on them, but Min interrupted her, saying that she was already familiar with the issues and hoped that a change will become apparent in the near future. Mrs. Reed was satisfied with the input. Silas said nothing. He wasn't as convinced.

They departed from the high school in silence. The dark clouds threatened to burst as they walked to their separate cars. Min told him, "Good bye," but he didn't return the sentiment. He wasn't exactly pouting, but the effect was the same.

With a surly wave of her arm, Min got into her car and drove away. So that was the car she swindled from Larry. It was one of those odd, half car, half truck vehicles, like the old El Caminos, only more stylish, sportier. It fit Min perfectly.

True to her excuse about running a few errands, she didn't go home. Silas went straight to the House and waited for her to arrive, but she didn't. He was determined to have a word with her. The conversation with Jennie the other day reiterated in his mind. Melissa didn't say a word about it. Of course, she wouldn't, but he hoped to glance at some sense of punishment from the girl. Nothing. It was like nothing happened between her and Min. Melissa showed some signs of guilt when she looked at Min, but the older woman never batted an eye at it. Her demeanor towards Melissa was no different than when she interacted with the rest of them.

It bothered him that Min would just let that kind of thing slide. Melissa had been warned against her behavior. He didn't want to kick her out of the house - she had no where else to go - but a foot should be stomped down. Melissa either followed the rules, or.... He didn't want to think about the 'or' part. Instead, he sat on the porch swing and fumed.

Where the devil was she?

Small drops began to fall, getting bigger, until the bottom dropped out. It was a cold January rain, mixed with some ice. He hoped it wouldn't last long. This part of the country could get some fairly serious ice storms. The local meteorologist didn't call for anything treacherous, but that didn't calm his nerves any as he watched the rain and ice plummet to the ground. Min was out in this weather. He prayed she knew how to drive in these conditions. If anything happened to her...

No, stop focusing on Min. Focus on the issue at hand. Min's job.

Finally, her car zipped into the driveway and she bounded out and onto the porch with a delicate scowl and shopping bags in her hands. She jerked to a stop.