House: Chapter 4

Four

In my last few jobs, I had been surrounded mostly by women, and luckily, the majority of those women was not threatened by me, and shared their love for me through friendship. I couldn't help the way I looked, and I couldn't help the way I appealed to nearly every male on the planet. I don't go looking for these difficult situations; they find me on their own. My soul was corrupted by the prosecuting Essences. Because I granted life to my sister, the Essence of Love, I was now forever an object of love, and forever unable to feel love for another person. My true punishment.

I was doomed to walk this earth as human, but to never die or love. The only thing I was granted was my free will. With that, I could be human, or a close resemblance. I could be human...forever. Death would have been a blessing, an end to the torment; therefore I was denied that. A death penalty for my kind was life. Perpetual life.

I can't imagine living forever with a hole in my soul, unable to love ever again. And the fact that I had been doing just that for the last two centuries didn't ease my bitter anticipation.

When I opened my eyes, he was walking away. "Silas," I called to him. He reached the front door, opening it, before turning to me. He looked exasperated.

"I'm sorry. It has been a long day. I don't mean to take my worries out on you." My voice was quiet, apologetic.

"I never said this would be easy, Min." He studied my expression.

"I remember," I laughed easily. I watched his eyes darken more; the clouds turning smoky. He took a half step towards me, but stopped.

"No, not easy at all," he muttered to himself, and then louder, "Good night, Min. Call me if you need anything." He turned and hurried down the front steps before I could blink.

"Silas," I called again, an errant thought rushing through my brain, and I was trying to convince myself that my thought was logical and not affected by his retreating back. He whipped around; his features tense, but his voice was calm.

"Yes?" He avoided looking at me.

"I was wondering if you have some time tomorrow to drive me to my hotel. I don't have a car, and I need to get the rest of my belongings. Do you mind?" I asked hurriedly. "Anytime would be suitable."

He relaxed, but only a little. "Sure. I'll see you around lunchtime, okay?"

"Thank you, Silas."

"Good night, Min." He got in his car and drove away, clearly breaking the speed limit. Forcing a calm look and trying to ignore the dull headache forming behind my eyes, I went back inside, shutting the door softly behind me.



Silas swung furiously at the ball and a solid smack sent it flying straight towards the far net.

"Whoa, nice one," Larry said behind him. "What's got your panties in a wad?"

Silas didn't answer. Mrs. Baker's tirade from earlier that evening flashed in his mind. "You got a death wish, young man?" the woman huffed at him. "You know what a woman like that will do to a man in your state?"

"No, but I'm sure you'll tell me."

"Don't give me no sass. What happened to Susan?"

"Susan has a job," he said with all the patience he could muster.

"Susan wouldn't take no crap from those girls. They gonna walk all over that woman. I've seen my share of girls in this house, and that fancy Barbie doll in there ain't gonna cut it."