five.

a/n:

Dad takes his kid to a zoo,

the only animal there is a dog;

it's a shitzu. 

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

+

my left hand clutches my phone as my nerves rise with every ring. i occasionally switch hands so i can wipe the sweat oozing from each one. i'm a tad bit nervous, but that small amount of nervousness raises to me wanting to puke when i hear a groggy hello? come from the speaker of my phone. it seems like my throat actually locks for a couple seconds, but i manage to answer.

"hey, bud."

i'm not sure, but i think hear him gasp softly; i know i hear some movement. i silently pray to god that he just doesn't hang up. that's the reason i smile so big when i hear him answer me. 

"ashton? oh my fuck- i mean, hey." 

"what did i tell you about swearing, harry? you're too young." 

by the tone of his voice, i just know he's rolling his eyes, "yeah, yeah, i know." he says. i smile when i hear him laugh a bit, but it quickly stops. "ashton, you can't be calling me. it's late and mom said-"

"i don't care what mom said. you're my brother and i'm gonna talk to you wether she likes it or not, damn it!" the sterness in my voice even shocks me a little. the line falls silent, leaving me with a guilty feeling in the pit of my stomach. i never yell at harry; he's my little brother, i love the kid, why should i yell at him?; i've never had a reason to. especially since i haven't seen him in so long.

see, when i told my mom i was gay, she practically disowned me. she literally gave me a day to pack my things and leave. she wouldn't let my siblings near me because they might 'catch my disease.' that was about a month ago. i stayed with my aunt for about a week until i got this place; haven't talked to harry, or lauren, since.

"harry, look. i know mom probably says terrible things about me, and i know she does, but i just want you to know that i love you. you're my little brother, and i'll always be here if you ever need anything. lauren too. you guys are my family, and i'm gonna be there for you wether you like it or not. you're gonna grow up and she won't be able to control you anymore. for fucks sake, don't listen to her!"

the only thing i hear next is the buzzing of a dial tone.

+

"i called my brother the other day," i say, my fingers fiddling with the chains of the swing set as my feet slightly dangle from the ground. michael's attention suddenly goes to me. he tries stops swinging, earning some dirt to stain his shoes, and smiles at me; his newly colored, purple fringe obviously needing to have a comb or a brush ran through it, but he still looks nice with his large jumper thrown over his shoulders and his skinny jeans, slightly damp due to the drizzle of the rain, sticking to his thin, long legs. i find the fact that he has sweater paws very adorable.

"you called harry? -it is harry right?" he asks, his voice, and even his eyes, filled with excitement. i told michael about my family a little after a week i moved in. he was completely understanding; his family practically did the same thing to him. michael lives alone, and he said that when i moved in, he wasn't so lonely anymore. that's why he comes/sleeps over so much. he says, and i quote, 'yeah, i have a boyfriend and i love him very much, but its nice to just have a buddy.' i find that amazing. i quite like michael. i care about him very much and i believe he's my new best friend. i trust him. he's just trustworthy.

"yeah, it's harry. it didn't go too well." i say, glumly. a sigh escapes from my lips as i pull my hoodie over my damp hair, as the rain seems to be picking up. michael looks up at the sky, squinting his eyes and flinching when a rain drop lands below his left eye. he giggles and sticks out his tongue, which makes my adoration for him grow.