August 2014: "We are Pokemon and We Don't Need You Anymore" by SantaHorse

And so, as the title says, the August 2014 Pokemon Fanfic of the month is... "We Are Pokemon and We Don't Need You Anymore" by Santahorse.

Firstly, I do understand that this story has a fair amount of reads, but the quality of this story exceeds any complaints you may have because it is a gosh darn good book.

With that, here is the quick review/description.

The story is set in Unova and the reason it is on the list is because of two things.

Number 1: the narrative. There are many Pokemon fanfics with an uninteresting narrator. The cliche is a teen girl starting out on her journey. Their emotions are generally told directly to readers, not shown. So, what makes this book's narrator different is not the fact that she's an Eevee with a trainer. But it's her voice, the one that tells the story. Her perspective on the events going on in the book switches from fun to hopeful to serious, but is always quirky, sarcastic, and generally lively. Readers see the story with more life and humor in Eevee's POV.

Number 2: the uniqueness. Everything about this book; every idea, every character, every plot point, is singular. Not just from the other things in the story, but from other fanfics as well. Each person and trainer has a distinct personality. The ideas are practically unheard, but in a great, surprising, and inventive way. And the plot! Well, I suppose I'll discuss that in the description.

So, as for the actual goings-on of "We Are Pokemon and We Don't Need You Anymore," well, what happens is...

Eevee and her fellow Pokemon are left to fend for themselves after their trainer dies in a horrific fire. The company plan on getting revenge on the people who killed their trainer so they travel across Unova to get to Nimbasa City, where the killer's HQ is. On the way there, Eevee and the others (including a Mudkip, Snivy, and Zorua) break into a Pokemon Center, get attacked by angry Basculin, and go through other crazy disasters and live to tell the tale. However, the adventure doesn't end there with strange things happening to Eevee, corrupt trainers and evil villains, and an ending that concludes the book with a BANG and still gives room for an amazing sequel.

Go check out this rip-roaring adventure that explores both Unova and the ethics of keeping Pokemon prisoner in Pokeballs. Go on, join Eevee's revolution!