Chapter 4

Night time

All retired in their room after having dinner as it was a lethargic day for all of them. Their happiness dominated their tiredness as this was the first time when they all will have satisfied sleep after 4 dreadful years. Avni was heating milk for Bebe while engrossed in deep thoughts. Shweta came there and saw her doing the kitchen chores. She patted her shoulder gently. Avni came out from her memory line.

Avni - Mom ..

Shweta - Yes, What are you doing here ? At this time.

Avni - Actually I was heating milk for Bebe.

Shweta - Why are you hiding your worries when you know very well that I can read your face and I can understand your emotions even if you  don't express them.

Avni - I am ... it's just awkward mom... I ....I .... ( She fumbled ).

Shweta - Avni ( she hugged her ).

After breaking the hug.

Shweta - Nothing is awkward bacha. You have to face him. Right ? I know you both will feel awkwardness for sometime but eventually you will get comfortable in each other's presence. Just give some time to each other. Okay.

Avni nods.

Shweta - Now go to your room. I will give this milk to Bebe.

With that Avni left the kitchen. She was walking towards her room and her nervousness was increasing with every passing second.

Avni - ( in mind ) I hope that he won't feel uncomfortable in sharing room with me.

She huffs and enters in their room. She saw that Neil was sitting on the bed and was lost in some deep thoughts. She closed the door and Neil came out of his trance. He looked at her while she smiles, he smiles back and both of them again looked away. Both wanted to talk with each other so that they can sort out their misconceptions but no one was having courage to initiate. Avni went to washroom for changing her dress. When she came back, she saw Neil lying on the bed with his one arm under his head, he was staring the ceiling of the room blankly, she didn't knew what he's thinking.

Neil - ( in mind ) This room is still the same as if nothing have changed. I thought that it should have undergone some changes as well like my life but it's still the same or I would say someone have tried to preserve each and everything here. She haven't changed it even a bit. Avni why are you so different ? I don't know what have I done to get a partner like you in my life but the problem is, Are you willing to cherish our marriage or you are doing it under some pressure ? Will you accept a broken man like me ? My heart want to talk to you for sorting out all the problems and misconceptions that this communication gap have created between us but my mind always stops me, it always makes me feel that I won't be able to give you the happiness you deserve. I want to end all the distances between us but my concern towards  you always stops me to do so, I guess that's the reason why I wanted you to move on in your life. Please tell me Avni what you want, what can I do for you so that you forget all your sorrows and smile whole heartedly. I don't want to force anything on you.

Avni - ( in mind ) What is he thinking ? I guess he needs sometime for reconsidering his decision about us. I shouldn't force him into anything. I will give him space so that he can decide what he exactly wants. Though I don't want to loose him but I can't hamper his happiness for my wish. I wish you also feel the same Neil. This distance have made me realise that life is very short, we always keep on planning our future and ignore our present. This separation have taught me the value of emotions and relations. Sometimes we take these relationships for granted but at the end of the day we seek for someone with whom we can be ourself. I want to make this marriage work but I won't force you into anything. You have already suffered alot in that hell, now you deserve a normal and happy life and if your happiness lies with me then I am ready to make this marriage work, if not then I won't force you to accept me and this relation.

A tear escaped from her eye but she immediately rubbed it and proceeded towards bed. She took a pillow and moved towards couch, Neil came out of his thoughts when he saw Avni moving towards couch.

Neil - ( in mind ) I think I am right, she's not comfortable with me.

Avni turned around and looked at him. She smiles at him.

Avni - Don't think that I am uncomfortable with you Neil, I just want to give you some time so that you can think about us.

Neil smiles.

Avni - Good night.

Neil - Good night.

Avni sleeps on couch while Neil was admiring her.

Neil - ( in mind ) I will talk to her tomorrow and we both will sort out our differences, somewhere I really feel that you want to maintain this relation Avni, that's why you waited for me all these years.

Both drifted into peaceful sleep as they weren't alone this time. Their presence have completed them and filled the void that always gave them pain of separation and loneliness.

After sometime, Neil woke up with a jolt as he saw a bad dream. He was sweating profusely and was breathing heavily. Well, who won't have these scary nightmares after living in a hell hole away from your loved ones that too for four years. The torture, the pain he went through can't be described in words. It can only be felt, that too by a person who loves him immensely.

He was trying to pick up a glass for drinking some water but the glass fell down and Avni woke up due to this. She saw Neil's condition and became worried.

Avni- Neil ... ( concerned )

She goes to him and made him drink water. He chokes the water due to his abnormal breathing, she pats his back and cleans his face. He hugged her tightly and snuggled his head into her chest as if trying to calm himself in her secure shell. She held him tightly and pats his head. He eventually becomes calm and breaks the hug but he wasn't able to speak anything. She understood that he's disturbed so she made him lie down.

Avni - I understand that you are going through an inner turmoil Neil and it's not easy to forget everything but please don't get scared, we all are with you. You are safe and secured in your family. No one will snatch your home from you now. ( She pats his head gently.)

He nods while she got up and was about to move towards couch but stopped when she felt a hand wrapping her wrist, she turned and saw Neil holding her hand and trying to tell her something through his eyes.

She knew what he meant and he shifted into the other side of the bed in order to give her space to sleep beside him. She knew that he is scared right now and will take some time for recovery. No doubt he was in fact he  is a brave soldier but when a human goes through brutal torture then it's pretty obvious that his mental health gets affected and he gets scared with the mere thought of going back into those inhumane lanes from where he have escaped with very difficulty.

Avni lied beside him and he held her hand close to him as if he never want to let her go, he felt secure in her presence and soon drifted into sleep while she was admiring him and was happy with his gesture which somewhere cleared her confusion regarding him and their relation.

Avni - ( in mind ) I guess a heart to heart conversation will sort all the problems.

She kissed his forehead while the frowns on his forehead vanished after feeling her. She smiles and soon sleep overtakes her.

I have died everyday waiting for you
Darling don't be afraid I have loved you
For a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more

( Here it ends, do drop your views.)

Much love
Thanks 💕