Chapter Four

"Right, I have something important I need to tell you." I started, "And know, that as horrible as it's going to sound, every word is the truth. Okay?"
"It can't be that bad, did you steal a pencil from school?" Wally joked but shut up at the glare I gave him.
"I'm the Talon." I said, not looking at either of them, I had to get it all off now or I'd freeze, "I don't know how, I don't know why. I'm not lying when I say I can't remember the time I go missing for, I really can't and I hate not knowing. So I made it my mission to find out what happens during that time. Which wasn't too hard to get the basics. So far I know that I take people from their homes, from which I see no link between them, and then I. God, I. I eat them. I know that's wrong, horrible in every sense of the word. Not even Joker stoops to that level and he's like the bad guy maniac of the century. But no, I know this because for the first couple of times when I found myself in some back alley of Gotham I was instantly throwing up organs. Hearts, kidneys and I think I saw an eyeball or two in a couple as well. That just caused me to uphurl more, and yeah. You get the picture there. But I couldn't tell anyone at first, I was scared, I didn't have a clue what was going to happen to me. What was happening to me? I was thirteen for god's sake, how was I supposed to react. Underneath everything everyone knew about me, I was still a kid. But I deviate. It was another year before I managed to join dots by which time I couldn't tell anyone because they'd judge me for not telling them straight away and causing so many more deaths. So, I've learnt how to hide it, get the blood off my uniform and out of my hair and off my face. So yeah, that about sums up everything I know. And I couldn't bring myself to tell anyone because what would they think? I didn't want to lose my friends, my family and if they knew, then I would. No questions asked, just dumped out on the street until I was a rotten corpse. But I'm telling you now because Jason brought it up and apparently he knows about some of that time and Batman has a hint and I think he secretly knows and I can't deal with that by myself. And I need help, I need to know what happens and I'm not going to do that by myself. And I understand if you hate me, I hate me for what I do, and if you'd rather put me in jail but what if it happens in jail and I'm the reason that all the convicts escape because I killed whoever was in charge because that seems like the kind of thing Talon would do. And you can't stop Talon, he knows everything I do, somehow. He knew when I put a camera on myself because it was destroyed instantly and there are no symptoms, it just happens at random times. And I don't know what to do anymore and-" I took in a deep breath, I hadn't realised I was crying.
I didn't look up to see their reactions, in all fairness I didn't really care about Jason's but Wally's was what was going to make or break me. I took in a deep, shaking breath and finally looked up. Wally was horrified, it was in every inch of his body, his face. I guess that made my decision then. I fled from the room, and ran through the mountain, ignoring the concerned shouts of the team as I hopped on my motorbike and began to drive, not caring that I was ignoring the safety precautions. Wally had been the final tipping point, he had decided my fate because I wasn't strong enough to do it myself. Yes, I wanted to live on a good life with my friends, but to protect the world and save them the pain of trying to hide me and having to pretend to like me. I had to die. I didn't know exactly where I was going to do this, somewhere out of the public. To imagine someone seeing me die, I can't bring that trauma on someone, it's just wrong. A sudden gush of wind moved in front of me, revealing a yellow-clad ginger. I hit the brakes as hard as I could, almost going over the top of my bike but managing not to.
"Where are you going?" Wally asked, leaning against my bike but his body was awkward, as if I was a stranger to him.
"What's it you? I'm not going to do that again." I replied, "So get out of my way."
"Look, I'm shocked at what you just told me." He admitted, "Okay, maybe a bit more than shocked but that thing you become isn't the you I know. The you I know is a funny, awesome and good person."
"Who was selfish enough to keep themself alive even if that means ending so many other lives. Now move." I growled.
"It's not- wait." I could see the understanding dawn on him, "No, not going to happen Dick. I will physically restrain you. I'll report you to the authorities and they'll have to watch you. I'll tell Bruce and Alfred. So get your bike turned back around and haul ass to the mountain."
"I can't Wally." I admitted, "I can't lie and hurt people anymore. I can't see you look at me like that, not now you know the truth."
"Look, it was a shock." He tried to cover himself, "I promise I'm not going to judge you for it, it's not you. Dick Grayson and Talon are not the same person, they just happen to share a body."
I didn't know what to say to that, I didn't know whether to believe him or not, so he continued, "Look, at least let me make a deal with you. If you're going to off yourself, you're going to have a giant party of a day first. Understood?"
"Wally-"
"Understood?"
"I guess." I shrugged.
Wally have me an awkward grin, "Race you back."
I quickly turned my bike and hit the acceleration as quickly as I could, gaining as much as I could on him. I pulled up in the garage, he hadn't overtaken me.
"God, what took you so long?" I jumped when I heard his voice from over in the doorway, "I feel like I've been waiting for hours."
"What? No, I didn't see you go past." I said, disappointed but not surprised.
"Of course you didn't." He said as he came over and tentatively slung his arm over my shoulder, "I took the scenic route, decided to check out the view from the top of the manor before I came. That's how slow you were."
"Show off." I said as we headed back upstairs.
I could hear a low mummer of people speaking in the main room, one was definitely M'gann's. High pitched and innocent. Couldn't mistake her's for anyone else's in the world. I turned to corner to see them talking, Jason was with them surprisingly enough. And only flinched slightly when he saw me.
"Ah, Nightwing, we were wondering when you would arrive. We need to have a serious discussion." Kaldur said and I instantly turned my gaze to Jason, who shrunk back further in his chair, "We have come to the conclusion that Bruce Wayne is Batman. Are we correct?"
I could physically feel myself relax as I told them they were right and sent an apologetic look to Jason.
"I knew it all along." Artemis said, "Wherever we had a mission he always turned up."
"Stop lying to yourself Arty." Wally chimed, "You were as clueless as the others."
"You say that like you knew." Conner said, "And even I did not know with what CADMUS had put in me."
"He did know." I replied for him, "We've been friends since I started the gig, of course I told him who I was."
"Hang on, so Mr Baywatch who can't keep a secret to save his life has known your identity since he was 11?" Artemis said, her voice slightly raised.
"Yup." I smirked and a harsh laugh caught our attention.
We all turned to the owner, Jason.
"What's so funny street rat?" Artemis asked only to have a sharp telling off from Kaldur, "Sorry, what do you find so funny Jason?"
"Just the fact that you don't think Wally can keep a secret." He said, "He has a secret identity of his own, secret stashes of food and manages to keep those secret. Nevermind the Hamster in his room that Dick told me about."
"Hamster?" M'gann questioned.
"And when did Dick tell you about it?" Conner asked, "You've only just met him."
"Funny story. Your golden boy over there isn't so golden-" Instantly Wally had his hand smacked over his mouth.
"I know, stealing a pencil from school. Such a rebel." Wally continued as I stood in shocked silence.
Jason was about to tell them, the one thing he knew could destroy me and he was going to tell them like it meant nothing. Not even I could register as Wally ran out of the room, dragging Jason with him.
"The hell was that?" Artemis asked, turning to face me.
"I have no idea." I said, trying to regain my normal composure but even I could tell it was awkward.
"Wally has a hamster?" Conner spoke next.
"Yes, and that's all you're going to know." I said, "I'm going to go find them, before either does something they'll regret."
"Maybe you should leave them alone and work on yourself." Kaldur suggested, "You seem pale. We'd prefer for you not to fall ill on us."
"I'm fine Kaldur." I gave a small smile, "If I feel I need a rest, I will."
I could practically feel Artemis roll her eyes but they let me go off without further argument. I walked down the halls, listening to try and hear the boys who were likely fighting. But when I heard them that's not what they were doing, in fact, they sounded calm. I instantly made my footsteps silent and moved closer to the closed door until I could make out their words.
"...I don't trust him either right now but if we want to know more we have to let him out there. We have to hunt the Talon."
"I don't like that idea." Jason said, "What if he kills another person? That's on us."
"Look, I don't really care what you think right now." Wally bit back, "He's my friend, and I'm the one who's faced situations like this before, not you."
"What about his other friends? What if he turns whilst he's in the cave and does his thing to them?" Jason argued.
"That's why I've called in Batman." Wally said and my breathing hitched. I was silent for a moment, hoping they didn't hear, and relaxing when Wally continued, "He'll be here in a moment to discuss what we're going to do. It's his call if we tell the team, if we tell the Justice League. Okay?"
There wasn't any reply but nothing else was said so Jason must have just nodded his head. But I didn't care if he agreed or disagreed, I just needed some time alone. Time to decide my own fate.
Batman 02. Hopefully, he'd steer well clear of my room.

Batman 02.
I didn't stop when the team asked what I was doing. I headed straight to Kid Flash's room. His quick message seemed important. I didn't bother knocking as I opened the door to see him with the kid I'd recently brought in.
"What is it?" I asked as I closed the door behind me and towered over them.
"It's about Dick." Wally began, "And Talon."
"Spit it out." I growled as he fell silent again.
"Dick is the Talon." Wally said quickly.
"Where's your evidence?" I said.
I suspected as much, as hateful and wrong as it seemed. It seemed the only possible answer for what was happening with him.
"Here." Jason handed me his phone and I played back a recording from only an hour ago.
Dick's voice greeted my ears, a long monologue broken up with deep breaths and ending with tears. And he admitted to everything, explained everything. And it was painful to listen to. I was glad when it was over.
"So he's known he was the Talon for 3 years." I said, "I assume you formulated a plan to stop him going into jail."
"We observe him, wait for the change and see what triggered it. Then we keep him restrained and question him until he's back to normal." Wally explained, "It should work."
"As long as he doesn't find out. He's already explained that Talon knows everything that he knows. As if he's always there in the background." I said, "But I'll give your plan one chance, however, we are going to have to inform the Team and the Justice League. Surveillance is going to have to be constant."
Wally looked uncomfortable for this idea, but didn't say anything against it. He knew that it would have to happen. I left the room and headed to the lounge where the rest of the team, minus Dick, were all sat.
"Team, I need you to pay close attention to this." I said and hit play on Jason's phone again, playing the confession again.
"What is this Batman?" Kaldur asked once it had stopped playing.
"You're next mission." I explained, "Nightwing is under high priority surveillance and there will always be two league members here in case he changes. Under no circumstance is he to know what is going on."
"Are you telling us Dick is Talon." Artemis asked, "And that he eats people?"
"Yes." I nodded, locking up my emotions, "This mission is ongoing until the phase is over. As you were." And I left back through the Zeta's to the Watchtower.
I quickly sent out an emergency communication to the entire league and uploaded the video from Jason's phone onto the mainframe. It was only five minutes before the league arrived.
"What is it, Batman?" Clark asked once everyone was sat around the table.
"What I am about to play you is disturbing. But every word of it must be presumed the truth." I said as I loaded up the video, "Silence until it is over."
And I hit play. I knew what was coming now, for only hearing it twice I knew it almost perfectly. But none of the league did. At first, it was a look of surprise when they heard Dick's voice coming through the system. Then shock as he admitted he was the Talon. And finally, horror as everything else was unveiled.
"Bruce, what was that?" Diana asked, the first to break the silence.
"It is of top priority that Dick is kept under constant surveillance without him knowing. Two leaguers must always be present at the mountain so that he can be restrained if he changes. The Team are all aware of what is happening and the priority of this mission. Dick will be kept at the mountain at all times, his identity from the tubes removed so that he cannot leave. The first watch is Oliver and Dinah. Diana and Clark will replace you in the morning."
Most of the Leaguers left then, Dinah and Oliver to the cave the others back home, but Clark stayed behind.
"Bruce, are you alright?"
"I'm fine Clark. Get rested before your shift." I said and walked past, ignoring him.
As soon as I got to the Batcave I removed Dick from the system and went on a hunt to find Alfred, he had to know the news.
"Master Bruce, you seem flustered." I turned around and he took a step back as he saw my eyes were red and streaming tears.
He didn't say anything, just brought me in for a hug as he had when my parents died.
And I returned the hug when I told him the news later that evening. Neither of us slept.