Chapter 5

Tuesday morning was a blur, I had two free periods, which had been allocated to me as 'catch up time' for the lessons I hadn't done between my move back. I again, sat with Dan and his friends, mainly conversing with him, Ethan and Jamie. 

"Dan, did you see that goal on Sunday?!" Ethan exclaimed.

"Which one?" Dan replied, struggling to keep interested. 

"You know, Dembele's? The Spurs match!" Ethan persisted.

"Yeah, it was good." Was all Dan replied.

"Ew, Ethan." He frowned at me. "Are you one of them?" He raised his eyebrows. "I mean, scum..."

"Man United?"

"No. Spurs?" I looked him up and down, disgusted.

"You aren't a gooner?!" He asked me, horrified.

"And proud." I winked at him. 

"I don't think we can be friends." He shook his head.

"Only because we're better than you." I smirked.

"You're nothing without van Persie."

"We're Arsenal, you're crap." I chuckled lightly to myself. The bell went and Dan and I headed off to my first music lesson, guitars in hand.

"You never fail to surprise me, you know." He spoke as we meandered around the groups of people all hustling in the corridors. "You're a football fan?"

"You know it! Since I can remember, I've been into football." He smiled at me, and pointed to the door, we walked in, and he led me to a seat at the back. 

"Ah, Miss Carter, it's wonderful to be graced with your presence." An old, balding man boomed across the classroom. "Would anyone care to divulge our current project to our newest member. A few hands rose, "Ah, Mr Peters." 

"Um, we're composing and performing our own piece of music. We can work on our own, or in pairs, or in groups." 

"Correct. This particular assignment is based on emotions. Why? I hear you say. well, emotions are the basis of our existence. You are to create a piece of music, using what every good songwriter uses. Their heart. Their emotions. Here, have this booklet to start you off, and enjoy your time." He smiled at me, and nodded for us to start. 

I flicked open the booklet and read. 

'How do you feel right now?

Happy?

Sad?

In Love?

These emotions are what you must base your composition on.

Before you think about it, I don't want a girly song about how a boy's kiss made your head go into the clouds, or a song about how you "get all of the girls."'

I didn't know where to start. I licked my lips and turned the page hoping for more pointers. Nope. None. All it stated was that I had six weeks left to write a song - lyrics and accompaniment - when I didn't even know what it was about. I brushed my fingers through my hair and sighed heavily; music had always been my safety zone. It was a way of channelling my emotions, without it, I may implode. 

My eyes scanned the room as I watched people write there target for the lesson, my guess, 'add finishing touches' or 'rehearse.' I then glanced down at my black page. Next to target, I wrote, 'get an idea' then closed the booklet and took out a notebook.