Part Four: Off day

Hey, I just met you and this is crazy
But here's my number, so call me maybe
It's hard to look right at you baby
But here's my number, so call me maybe
Hey I just met you and this is crazy
But here's my number, so call me maybe
And all the other boys try to chase me
But here's my number, so call me maybe  

I jammed to Carly Jepson's call me maybe and dance all around my apartment to while away time because....

IT'S MY OFF DAY YAYYYY

No Agatha, no arrogant bosses and no work

Just me and Billy living free. I feel like doing something fun today but still open for options at least till evening. Just as I'm about to change the music on my music player, I receive a call from my sister Jenn. I mentally roll my eyes before I  answer the call.

"Hey sis, howya doing", I say as I pet Billy on the back

" What is this I hear Jessy", my sister said with an ounce of irritation in her voice

"What did you hear now?", I  asked

"That you are working as a maid of all things at some house. Is this what you have been reduced to?", I could imagine her blinking her eyes profusely to understand what I'll say next

"Where did you hear that from?",  Sitting yoga style and petting Billy keeps me calm enough to understand what she says and not blow her off.

"That doesn't matter, I don't like it. I know you haven't kept a steady job but going for that kind is pretty shallow"
I couldn't hold myself any longer

"What did you call shallow; the fact that I'm trying to fend for myself or the fact that my also well educated sister is out messing up her life", I grit my teeth

"How dare you Jess; I'm trying to help you. And remember I am still older than you"
" Pfft, by 10 seconds, besides if you want to help me so much, maybe you should ask if I have a roof, food and job not question me"

Having issues with my twin is kind of a bond breaker, we were really close at birth and childhood but after teenage years, my sister always tried to control my life as well as live hers. We planned living together for so long and when that dream finally actualized; she began dating Fred and boom, plan failed.
Still, moving out was the best thing that happened to me.

Back to reality and my sister ended the call with a warning that I can't remember right now.
This off day just got sour; where's Gina when you need her.

11:25am

Gosh, what's wrong with this day
I can't take it anymore.
Wearing my checkered shirt and pants with my bag, I dash out of my apartment to find some excitement.
Funny how one phone call could spoil your day; I do love my sister but she makes it so hard for me to understand her. With her egocentric and defensive attitude, a lot like dad, she wants to know everything about my life and even operate it from the sidelines. But college changed everything, I changed everything.

Walking aimlessly on the streets provided a bit of relief, a relaxed feeling and I spot a shop nearby. As aimless as my mind was, my brain directed me into this shop which turned out to be a bakery/café what the heck, well, I could use some sugar though.

Half way into my third cup of milkshake, I sense someone staring at me but I decide to ignore it based on the increased amount of liquid in my body. Weird, I know

Pushing the cup towards my lips, I felt a touch in my shoulder and jerked so hard, it had creamy liquid all over my shirt.
Thank Heavens it wasn't coffee

As I was about to give the person involved a piece of my mind, I turned to see a not so familiar face staring down at me with mouth agape.

"I am soo sorry, I didn't mean to do that. I need to clean that up"
She frantically began to plaster napkins on my body trying to clean the mess. Her eyes looked glossy as if she would burst out crying any moment; she had straight jet black face, pale skin and really glossy blue eyes.

"Not to worry, I can rush to the restroom and sort it out", I said still looking confused
"I thought you were someone else, really sorry for all the inconveniences, I'll just leave", she said with a pleading look

Curse my kind heart
I looked at her with remorse and knew for a doubt that this girl was troubled
"Well, since I'm alone, why not join me except you have other things"

She accepted the offer quickly as if waiting for me to ask.
After a bathroom break and a conversation, I found out that my new acquaintance is Lillian who's a fashion consultant at a boutique. Further communication led me to believe that she was in a desperate need of a friend; she lost her parents and boyfriend in one day, the boy apparently dumped her when she needed him most.

All that "I thought I knew you" was all crap to talk to someone.
"So, Jess, what do you do?"

"Well, I am also a consultant but for sanitary matters", my smile failed me

" Really? What does that mean?", I could tell she was confused but my lips remained sealed.

I am proud of my work
I am right?

She shrugged and sipped her coffee, still scrutinizing my every move. I had to break the progressing silence to the unthinkable; emotional talk.
"So what exactly happened to your parents?", I asked slowly

She stifled a sob and cleared her throat

"Um, they had a trip all planned out and as they were coming home...... To meet me........like I had just spoken to my mum before they boarded the plane. Was so excited to see them after three weeks, I got a call..... (sob)..... that......that the plane crashed. I have never felt so heart broken in my life"

She couldn't hold it anymore and burst into uncontrollable tears and so I found myself petting her.
Petting and bonding with a total stranger was surprisingly calming. It's as if she bared herself not minding who she was confiding in.

After a few hours of talking and getting to know each other, she decided to go home and get her life together. We exchanged cell numbers and she thanked me and said she would be in touch.

I call Gina and ask her if she's free but she apologized and said she's swamped but she'll be sure to visit me and catch up
God, I miss her

Great
Another day in my life
And certainly not how I wanted to spend my off day
Sure, I loved getting to know Lilian and helping her get through her pain
Heck, I made a friend
A really good thing but I need to blow off steam

What best way than to down a couple of shots

Hey
I know my updates take long
Bear with me
But I'm lining up a lot of chapters
So tell me what you think
Thanks.