Part One: Job Hazards

He looked at me with so much disgust and contempt in his eyes, like I had done the most unforgiving crime of all. How was I to know that my boss was lactose intolerant……

"How dare you, you wrench. Do you want to kill me?’ he said angrily

‘I’m so sorry sir, I didn’t mean to, I had no…….’’ I stuttered

‘Save it or I’ll………’ And that was when the lactose kicked in, I watched him run out clutching his stomach probably to vomit or poo, I don’t care, all that was on my mind was how one person could cause so much problem on her first day.

Sixteen hours earlier……………
‘Come on Gina, help me already’

‘Okay, what do you want me to do Jess? Be your employer; I have tried all I can’, she said

‘Try harder, I need a paying job fast or I get kicked out of this place’ I sighed and slumped onto the sofa

I had lived in this apartment for a year and have come to like it even if it doesn’t exactly depict my dream home but home is home I guess. I used to live with my twin sister Jenn, but as usual, my sister’s egocentric behaviour and shabby boyfriend caused me to move out. Here, I’m trying to avoid an impending aftermath of a quick notice by my landlord. I need a job, ANY JOB!
‘I’ve got one'

‘Huh’, I snapped out of my thought cloud

‘It says here that they need a research secretary, like an assistant to the main secretary. They pay good, at least enough to save for the rent’, my best friend assured

‘Cool, I’ll take it’, at this point I would take anything.

‘You start tomorrow at 8am sharp, I’ve sent your resume to them and please, please, please don’t lose this one too, I gotta go ,will see you later’, Gina said as she left.

Okeydokey then. Let us see what tomorrow brings and I hope I don’t get relieved of my services again.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
‘Ugh, it’s morning already’, I roll over and check the time and squint my eyes to see the alarm clock. It’s just 9am, stupid clock. I get out of bed, wash up and make myself some coffee; while I’m doing that, Billy walks in from the bathroom and starts tugging at my feet.

‘Come on boy, let’s get you a snack, we are all out of dog food’. Yea, Billy is my dog, I’ve had him like forever and we are great pals, taught him everything he knows. I fetch him some bacon and while we sat together, I kept feeling out of place.

‘I feel like I’m forgetting something boy, do you remember anything?’, he shrugged and I shrugged back until my phone rang, it was Gina, then it clicked. With my eyes as wide as saucers, I answered the call trying to sound normal.

‘Did you get it, I mean pass the interview. How did it go?’ I heard my agitated friend’s voice on the phone

‘Ummm, I didn’t get it, they said I was too late for the job’. I try to sound as disappointed as possible

Technically, that was true.
‘What?? Someone got it first, how come?’, she sounded surprised

‘I dunno, but I’m working on getting a new one today, been working on it since’

‘Okay dear, don’t feel too bad, you’ll get one soon. But meanwhile, let’s meet up later at 7pm’

‘Where exactly should we meet?’

‘The pizza place around the corner??’

‘Gustavo’s pizzeria, okay cool’, I hang up as quickly as I say that, feeling the lying act will be exposed if I continued to talk.

Billy gave me this ‘liar liar pants on fire’ look but I waved him off and settled down to business. I searched all the job sites searchable until I found one that required a young maid for probably some big house and pay was really good
‘Applicants should come to the house for screening and testing’, the address was given below but what are they testing? Hope there won’t be any stupid exams.

I bid Billy good bye as I set off to the address I copied to my phone until I arrived at a huge mansion that looked really fancy……………………..

                         *****

I was hired and given one teensy winy task; making tea for the boss man but no one told me the septuagenarian was allergic to milk coupled with the fact that I broke five china plates, three cups and slapped a fellow with a pan. Today is horrible and I’m still oblivious of the horror yet to come. I blame the head maid, who tells a newbie to make tea for her boss on the first day in a house with at least twenty servants. I was still waiting for my sack letter when I heard someone walk in.

‘Who is that dummy that wants to kill my father in the most pathetic way possible’, I turn to see an arrogant looking being whom nature prefers to call woman. For one thing, she had the looks of a female but apparently, her brain depicted otherwise, no female could be that dumb.

I blinked at her several times before she realized that the culprit stood before her the whole time
‘You tried to poison my father’

‘It was just milk’, I whispered

‘What did you say?’ she asked as she turned

‘I mean….. Am sorry ma, it wasn’t intentional’, I replied in a very meek tone

‘Of course it was you oaf, well you are lucky; my dad for some reason doesn’t want you fired so get back to work’

Wait, what? Did I hear her well; I’m staying and keeping this job. Great, I won’t have to give Gina bad news; the truth is I haven’t been able to keep a steady job in two years. And my dear friend has tried all she could to help me, I can’t let her down.
‘Oh thank you so much’, I kept saying at least to show appreciation as the she devil walked out.

I think all my colleagues were still shaky on the whole incident because I wasn’t assigned any duty till closing time. The head maid, Agatha told me to take out the garbage on my way out plus I would be assigned to join the shift cleaning in the William’s company.

I worked for the William family, a rich one that had businesses everywhere ranging from hotels to industries. They had been in business for a long time and the inheritance just keeps passing on to the next generation.
I took a taxi to my apartment and was greeted with a quick notice letter pasted on my door. I have to call my twinnie to tell her about the job perhaps she would shout ‘Hallelujah’ then when I lose the job she’ll console me. That is what has always happened.

Suddenly, I get a feeling not to call her and I throw the phone away and look at my watch; Shoot! Gina said to meet her in the next 20 minutes. As I freshen up, I wonder what she might think about my new job at the Williams; well, only one way to find out
“Billly, don’t wait up!!”