Chapter five ~ part a

“Do you ever think about what would have happened if we had never met? Like, what would you be doing right now, and where? And with who?” Liam asked Niall softly, running his thumb over the soft skin of Niall’s check.

“No, why? Have you?” Niall whispered, turning his head so he could kiss his boyfriend’s finger.

“Yeah, one day. Probably I would be alone at my apartment, alone with myself, studying something boring at Uni. I bet I wouldn’t have a boyfriend tho. I don’t think so. I’d hang with Lou and Harry every night, looking for something to entertain myself when I should be at the shelter, with you and Dani. Maybe it wouldn’t be a bad life, but I wouldn’t be as happy as I am now. I wouldn’t be happy without you.”

“What’s gotten into you Li?” Niall moved a little so he could see Liam’s face better.

“Nothing just… It’s been a year, you know. Since that day. And I was thinking about what would I’ve done without you” Liam looked down at Niall, hugging his naked waist tightly and kiss his nose. “I..” He hid his face in Niall’s soft blonde hair. “I can’t loose you Ni. I can’t.”

“Hey hey hey” he said, holding Liam’s head so their eyes were locked, deep brown looking at bright blue. “You’re not going to loose me okay? Never. I will never leave you Liam. Why would you? Don’t you realise how happy you made me Liam? If I ever break your heart please then break mine. I love you Liam, remember that.”

They kissed lovingly and slowly, enjoying the feeling of each other’s lips. After a while, Niall pulled away.

“Now, what if we get rid of this depressing Liam and bring a… more playful Liam to this bed?” Niall smirked with his eyes full of mischief.

“Give me love like her,

‘Cause lately I’ve been waking up alone.

Paint spotted tear drops on my shirt,

Told you I’d let them go.”

Liam was thrown out from his dream by his alarm, Ed Sheeran’s soft voice waking him up. He groaned, rolling so his stomach was pressed against the mattress and turning the alarm off.

That dream has been… so perfect and so terrifying at the same time. A part of Liam wished the dream was real. He wanted to hug Niall every night and to say he was his boyfriend. That he was the only one allowed to kiss his lips, to share moments like that with him. But the other part of Liam was terrified. He was terrified of feeling that way for someone again. Last time he had ruined his friendship with Andy, and he didn’t wanted to ruin his friendship with Niall. He’d rather being alone than losing Niall, he really did.

Liam groaned again, before leaving his warm bed behind and preparing himself for the day ahead.

~o

Liam smiled at Danielle, poking her waist. She laughed and squirmed away from him, holding the tiny Stu, one of the puppies they had saved just two days ago, against her chest.

“I don’t need a boyfriend Liam, I’m perfectly fine on my own” Dani said, puffing her chest out a little unconditionally.

“I didn’t say you do! I was just saying that, since the date with that guy didn’t went well, you could try calling my friend Harry. Now that Lou has a girlfriend Harry is a little moody and maybe going out with a pretty girl like you could help him. I’m just worried about him, I’ve talked with him but he ignores me and I want to help him. I wasn’t telling you to go out and get a boyfriend Dani.”

“And what you need is to stop worrying about him so much! Probably he just feels a little left out, with you spending so much time here with us, not that I’m complaining, and with Louis?” Liam nodded “having a girlfriend. It’s normal Li” she showed him a reassuring smile, petting the dog’s tiny head. “I feel like you are kind of their dad, in fact.”

“Who? Liam? Hell yeah he is” an Irish accent said from behind them.

Liam turned around to find Niall, smile in his face and sandwich in his hand. When he was Niall’s bright blue eyes, his dream came back to his head like a huge wave, and he couldn’t stop himself from blushing. But luckily Niall didn’t notice, he just kissed Danielle’s check before hugging Liam, as always.

“Okay, maybe I do baby my friends a little…” Liam said with a little smile, trying to bite Niall’s sandwich.

“Oi! That is my sandwich Liam!”

“Oh come on, just one bite?” Liam asked, looking at Niall with the best puppy eyes he could do. Niall sighed, offering Liam his sandwich, who took a bite from it, before smiling.

“Thanks Ni, I’m a little hungry.”

“You should be proud of yourself Liam, Niall never shares food. Never” Dani told him , trying not to laugh when Stu started trying to bite the sandwich too.

“Guess I’m not the only one that’s hungry here” Liam smirked.

“How can you blame him? It’s almost one o’clock and here you are, just pettin’ him and teasin’ him with food he can’t have!” Niall cried, eating more of his sandwich.Hypocrite.

“We are teasing him? Who’s the one with the huge chicken sandwich here Nialler. It’s not me!”

Niall’s blue eyes shined with mischief, making Liam remember his dream again and obviously making him turn bright red, before he ate what was left from his sandwich from one bite.Three inches. In one bite. One huge bite.

“Hey, I thought we had only five new golden labs here, but apparently we have six of them Liam. But where is Niall?” Dani asked, looking at Niall aka the new dog.”Do you know where our friend is doggie?” and then she petted Niall’s head, ruffling his blonde hair. She and Liam couldn’t help but laugh, amused by the look in Niall’s face.

“Haha, you’re so funny Dani. I’m dying over here.”

“Jealousy is not good for you Nialler.”

Stu barked, looking at them with his cute big brown puppy eyes.

“Why don’t we feed them guys, and leave this discussion for later?” Liam asked, still smiling.

“Okay, but we’ll need to buy more food, this little dog is going to eat it all” she said, poking Niall, who smiled at her.

“Let’s go and start feeding this starving dogs!”

“So um… Was the date that bad Dani?” Niall asked casually while filling another plate and petting the little Julie.

“Well, at first it was great. He was being really sweet with me and we were talking non stop about how I love dancing and that he’d like to be a lawyer and stuff like that. But then…” she sighed. “Then one of his mates appeared and he asked ‘Am I interrupting something?’ and Tom, his name was Tom, said ‘Nah, it’s okay mate. Just a friend’. JUST A FRIEND? I’m your date! Anyway, they started talking and I was just sitting there awkwardly, so I sent you that ext asking you to call me Niall, but you said you were talking with Greg so I thought about you Liam but you were practising… Wait, practising for what?” Danielle turned to look at Liam with confused eyes.

“I was practising the songs I’m going to sing next week at my school’s art day. You can sing, act, dance or show your drawings, paintings or whatever you do. Some other classmates are going to sing, and I have two solos, so I really need to get them right.”

“Oh, that’s pretty amazing Li!”

“Yeah, it is, thanks. Anyway, continue Dani.”

“Okay so then his friend sat with us and yeah, they continued talking until our date was over. And then he didn’t even drove me home, I took a cab! I had never felt so humiliated in my life. Some guys are so stupid.”

“Yeah, he was pretty stupid. Who would do that?! If you invited her, the pay attention to her, drive her home and be as gentle as you can with her. What he did what wrong in so may levels…” Liam started, turning to look at her.

“I agree. You are with her, you take care of her and make her feel comfortable with you. You can’t just ignore her. Jackass” Niall said, murmuring the last word. Danielle laughed, before saying:

“I think I’m going to marry both of you guys” while wrapping one arm around each of their shoulders.

The three of them laughed, graving more dog food.