The Truth

Hiccup smiled to himself as he watched the Berkians reunite with their dragons. Each dragon literally slammed themselves into their owners or tackled them to the floor to lick their faces or aggressively snuggle them. He heard a small screech and turned to see Striker walking to him and looking around wildly. A pang of sadness hit him when he realized who the poor dragon was looking for amongst the other humans.

"I'm so sorry boy, but she's not coming back." Hiccup mumbled as the Skrill rubbed his head against his palm. "I'm sorry."

"That was some pretty impressive dragon wrangling." Hiccup looked up to see Eret approaching them, a small smile on his face. "You'd make a pretty good trapper." Storm growled softly before nosing Eret's side carefully, sniffing his vest and hair before nudging his palm. Hiccup smiled as the older man smiled at the dragon and gave him a small scratch under the chin.

"You know, Striker is going to need someone to look after him." Hiccup commented. "Since my sister is...gone."

"Me?" Eret asked in surprise. "You sure? I'm sure she would have wanted you to care for her own dragon."

"I think he'll be in better hands with you."

Striker growled and nudged Eret playfully, causing the man's small frown to turn into a small smile. "Then I'd be honored."

Hiccup watched with a small smile as his sister's dragon bolted off, causing his new rider to chase after him with a laugh. That probably would have made Kari laugh hard enough to lay on the floor wheezing as she tried to catch her breath. With a small sigh, Hiccup started to make his way back to his home with Toothless scampering behind him.

Their home wasn't destroyed thank Thor, but Hiccup knew it wasn't going to be the same anymore. Never again would he get a whiff of his sister's cooking, hear her singing in the morning while they cleaned up the inside of their home when their father was gone, or hear her snoring softly in the room they shared with Bella even after their father tried to get them to have different rooms. As he stepped inside, the whole house felt empty and cold.

"This I am definitely going to need to get used to." Hiccup murmured to himself as he carefully shut the door behind himself and Toothless.

He made his way towards the stairs and slowly walked up till he reached his room. Two bed, both neatly made though Hiccup remembered leaving the bed undone yesterday morning. He walked to the neatly made one and sat down on top of the small chest that laid at the foot of the bed. Toothless gave a small croon and walked over to his rider before laying his head on his knee. Hiccup absentmindedly reached up to gently scratch his dragon behind the ear.

"Hiccup?" Glancing up, Hiccup saw his parents standing in the doorway of the bedroom.

"I'm fine, if that's what you're asking." Hiccup mumbled and looked away. "I'm perfectly fine right now."

"Son, there's something we should have told you a long time ago." Stoick sighed as Valka gripped his hand. "It...it has to do with Kari."

Hiccup didn't even respond. Valka took a deep breath before looking at her daughter's bed with tear filled eyes and began to talk.

_____________________

"Why didn't she tell me about this?! How could she keep this from her own brother?!" Hiccup exclaimed in horror, moments after his parents made their confession. "After all these years, now I'm learning about this?!"

"Son, you have to understand she was frightened." Stoick tried to point out. "We we're living in a time where she could have been killed by mistake or run out of the village. "Only Gothi, your mother and I knew of this."