Chapter Three- The Aurora Light

Chapter Three

The Aurora Light

     The slight fog slowly lifted as the morning sun made its away up. Five people stood in a garage gathering the fundamental supplies that were needed for the camping trip. Dan opened the trunk to his mother’s minivan and commenced to put all the luggage in. Galon sat on top of a tool box trying not to fall asleep, but the dew on the grass filled the atmosphere with tranquility and it wasn’t helping him stay alert. 

         “Is your friend coming?’ asked Eitan’s mother. Her skin was very pale and her eyes were barely opened. 

         Eitan put his camping bag in the car and said, “He should be here. It’s 7:55.” As all the bags were packed, someone walked up the driveway into the garage. Asher was the first to noticed and he indicated to everyone of his presence. They all looked at the boy with astonishment in their eyes. 

         “Hey,” the boy said awkwardly. He carried a large camping bag on his back, in his hand he had a silver trekking pole, he wore a tight black shirt that could absorb sweat; and you could definitely see his muscles, his pants were light jeans for fast movement, and he wore gray shoes that made him look a little taller than he actually was. 

         “I was not expecting that,” admitted Dan. He looked at Benjamin up and down with so much disbelief. 

         “I know right, I was expecting a short, chubby, boy with over large glasses,” laughed Asher.  Benjamin shook hands with Dan, Asher, Galon, fisted pumped Eitan; who was still getting use to doing that, and finally shook Eitan’s mother’s hand.

         “You’re the boy my son talks about?” she smiled. “It is a pleasure meeting you.”

         “It’s a pleasuring meeting you too. All of you. Thank you for inviting me,” he said. He looked at Eitan and said, “Happy birthday, friend.”

         “Thank you,” smiled Eitan. Dan took Benjamin’s bags and crammed it into the minivan. 

         “Okay, lets get this over with,” Dan signed. 

         “Not before you all give me a hug,” snorted Dan’s mother. She hugged Asher and Galon. She gave a really big hug to Dan and told him, “Be nice to your brother.” He simply nodded and continued to her other son. “Your brother and nephews love you. They just have a bizarre way of showing it. You now have a really good friend and I can tell he is the real deal.” She placed a kiss on his forehead, “I love you.”

         “I love you too, mom,” he blushed.

         She looked at Benjamin and said, “Come here, dear. A friend of my son is a friend of mine.” They hugged and she proceeded with, “Take good care of him.” 

         Benjamin smiled, “Don’t worry, I will.” He had sensed that Eitan didn’t get along with his nephews and his brother, and Eitan’s mother confirmed that Benjamin’s feeling was correct. Dan started the car, Asher sat in the passenger seat, and the rest sat in the back seat. As the car drove off, Eitan tried to looked back at his mother, but the luggage entirely covered the back window. It was the first time he was going to be away from his mother for a whole day. He remembered how she use to take him to an ice-cream shop and they would talk for hours about everything and spend the whole day together. The fact that he was going to spend a whole day with his nephews and brother was appalling. However, he had Benjamin. Just like with the presence of his mother, he felt safe.