Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"Cassie, off again?"

Cassandra turned towards the sound of her brother's voice. She had been walking down the stairs, and was now standing in the middle of the foyer.

"James, yes." She went over and kissed her him on the cheek. "I have a meeting."

James looked at his sister, running his hand over her hair, his gaze worried. Cassandra noticed the look immediately.

"Brother, there is no need to worry. You know I can take care of myself."

"You have been spending a lot of time at Konstantin House." At his sister's querying look, he added. "Diana and I attended a ball at Lady Gaskill's. London society cannot get enough of what seems like your standing invitation into the world of the most elusive family in town."

Cassandra looked exasperated. "James, you do not seriously listen to that nonsense do you?"

James grimaced. "Of course not. You know I cannot abide the gossips. But it does not take an iota of intelligence to know that the Konstantin's are... different. I just want to make sure you are being safe."

Cassandra hugged her brother close, enjoying the feeling of safety she rarely ever felt. "Thank you for caring about me."

"Always." James pulled her even closer. He missed her. And his heart ached for the responsibility she had to face every day.

They stood in silence for a long while, just resting in each other's arms.

This was how Diana found them. She watched them for a minute, knowing her husband had a hard time letting go of his baby sister, and realising she was all grown up and perfectly capable of taking care of herself.

"Cassie? James?" she called, interrupting them.

Brother and sister moved apart slowly and laughed.

"Cassie, George has just informed me that His Grace, the Duke of Castlereagh is here to see you?" Diana had phrased it as a question.

James raised an eyebrow but did not say a word. His gaze zeroed in on his sister.

"We are going to meet the Konstantin's," she said quickly. "There is nothing else going on here, James."

Her brother did not look like he believed her for a second. He knew his sister. And the flash in her eyes when his wife mentioned the Duke was enough evidence to suggest something was afoot. He just didn't know what that something was yet.

Diana ignored her husband and pulled Cassandra towards the parlour. She whispered conspiratorially. "He is altogether as handsome as I have heard, Cassie. Even more so. For once the gossips got it right."

"He is delicious, is he not?" Both women laughed.

James cleared his throat, following the pair. Cassandra blushed, having forgotten her brother was walking behind them.

Cassandra, Diana, and James, entered the parlour to find Emmanuel, hat in hand, looking out over the grounds.

He turned when they entered and Cassandra couldn't help but wonder if she would ever get used to just how devastatingly handsome he was.

He bowed.

Cassandra turned to her kin. "Brother, our guest is His Grace, Emmanuel Moire, Duke of Castlereagh. Your Grace, please allow me to introduce my brother, Lord James Greenwich, Marquis of Winterley, and his wife, Lady Diana."

James and Emmanuel shook hands.

"Your Grace, your reputation precedes you." James began. "Cassie here has nothing but good things to say about you."