Chapter 4

Chapter 4

As it turned out, George had managed to come up with exactly nothing about the mysterious Jonas Steerpike. Whatever illusions Cassandra and Emilia had had about graciously declining the invitation from the Mistress of Konstantin House, they were shattered when George returned empty handed.

That night, Cassandra and Emilia set out to honour their engagement. The vast mansion rested on the outskirts of London, occupying hundreds of acres. The sheer size of the property was staggering.

Both women were used to wealth, but still couldn't help but be suitably impressed. Cassandra and Emilia never paid any attention to the rumour mills. However, it was impossible not to hear the gossips speculate about the wealth and status of the Marquis of Konstantin. Now with the proof before them, they were both a little awed.

What both women knew with unwavering certainty was that an invitation to Konstantin House was hardly ever issued, and therefore all the more sought after.

Yet here we are, without even trying, Cassandra thought.

The coach came to a halt before the imposing home. It was regal and elegant. Being as dark as it was already, they couldn't see much of the grounds. But lights burnt brightly in all the windows, and there seemed to be hundreds of them!

As they alighted, footmen were on hand to help them down and led the way into the house. Their coats were taken and they were ushered into a large parlour.

Making sure they were both comfortably seated on twin couches, the footmen retreated. "My Lady Konstantin will be with you shortly."

The huge doors to the parlour were closed and the friends turned to one another and both breathed out. It sounded loud in the silence of the room. Like it echoed somehow.

"This house is..." Emilia began, but words seemed to fail her.

"Yes, it is." Cassandra agreed, understanding exactly what her friend couldn't say.

The house was simultaneously light and dark. Large, heavy drapes hung from the massive windows, as if to defy the existence of the sun. And yet at the same time, fresh, colourful flowers were displayed everywhere in beautiful porcelain vases.

Concerning the house, the little they had seen had been of an intricately carved, winding staircase which seemed to snake into forever. Plush, deeply scarlet carpeting covered the stairs.

The paintings on the walls were interesting as well. They depicted warriors at battle, beautiful landscapes, most at dusk or moonlit nights, and others were portraits of equally fair-faced ancestors. Busks and sculptures were also tastefully displayed.

"This place is altogether disturbing... and yet, so eerily beautiful at the same time." Emilia shook her head as if to clear it.

Cassandra nodded her head in agreement. The house was stunning. But underneath it all, it conjured in her a feeling she couldn't quite identify.

The parlour doors swung open once more and the friends rose in unison. The Marchioness entered.

"Lady Elizabeth," both friends said simultaneously.

Any thoughts both women had of their memories having exaggerated her beauty was immediately dispelled. She was more beautiful than either remembered - if that was even possible.

Elizabeth rushed forward gracefully and extended her hands in greeting to first Cassandra and then Emilia, welcoming both warmly. Despite the circumstances, the friends found themselves charmed. There was something infinitely likeable about the beautiful woman and she set them both at ease quite quickly.