I like me Better - Part 2

"Will you brush my dolly's hair?" Bridget asks waddling up to me. I take the doll from her chubby hands and start brushing its hair, I get so carried away I didn't realize that it had two Dutch braids till I was finished. "Ohhh!" She gasps, I hand the doll back to her and she runs up to her mother.

"Kit where did you learn to braid like this?" Peters mother asks, scoping Bridget up into her arms. "My mother taught me," I say I watch Bridget fiddle with the doll and her mother run her finger over the braid. Bridget tugs on her mother's shirt, "mummy." Holly sighs,

"I hate to ask but could you braid Bridget's hair?" I smile, " I would be honoured." She sits Bridget down in her high chair and straps her in gently. "I'll just run and grab her comb and ties." She disappears out of the kitchen and Eve wonders in, she sits down across from me at the table.

"Do you have any sisters?" Eve asks abruptly, I shake my head no. "I have 4 brothers, 3 older and 1 younger." Her mouth hangs open,

"Oh man, I thought Peter was bad. Wow," Holly returns a second later with the comb, I gently pull it through Bridget's hair as she fidgets in the chair. I carefully dance my fingers across her head to pull her hair into two clean Dutch braids. I take the ribbons and wrap them around the end of each braid. "Can you braid my hair?" Eve asks,

"Sure if you go and get Four hair ties for me." She runs out of the kitchen and comes back a second later with her brush and some hair bands. She sits in the chair in front of me and I braid her hair in a reverse French braid. I take a picture with my phone and show it to her, we're giggling over the picture when Peter walks through the door.

"What did I miss?" He asks, hanging his jacket on the hooks. "Smells good ma. Whoa, mum did you brain their hair?" He asks, bending down to Bridget's level. He takes the doll from her hand,

"No, Kit did." Peter smiles at me, with his sparking eyes. He sets the table for dinner, while I talk with Eve.

   "You have the prettiest eyes." I say to Eve, letting Bridget play with my charm bracelet. Eve smiles, "Thanks Kit. Mum is dinner ready I'm hungry."

   "Yes it is!" She says setting down the pot of stew. The rest of the night is fun, I learn embarrassing stories about Peter from when he was little. Later that night after I've washed up and am lying on their guest bed, listening to the sound of the waves crash I text my parents and tell them all about everything and wish them goodnight.

   There's a soft tapping on the door, I peer through the opening to see Peter standing there. "Kit can I come in?" He asks, I smile and put my phone down on the night table. He comes in wearing night bottoms and a t-shirt, he's got my flowers in a vase. "My mum said to give these to you." He hands them to me, and I smile.

   "Do you want to sit down?" I ask, setting the flowers on the night table. He sits down next to me in silence,

   "So tomorrow we're going to go and spend the day in town. I can show you around and everything."

   "That would be nice, thank you for having me over Peter. You're sisters and your mother and wonderful."

   "PEEter!" Bridget wails, he laughs under his breath. "That's my cue, goodnight Kit."

   "Night Peter." He walks out of the room and closes the door behind him. I walk over to the window and take a picture of the view, I send it to Matilda. I crawl under the blankets and drift off to the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks.

•••

   The next morning before I head into town with Peter, I dress in a blue and white pinstripe dress. I find a pair of ballet flats, and my charm bracelet. "Kit are you ready to go?" Peter asks from out side, I open the door and smile. His face lights up

   "You look nice," he smiles sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck. "Thanks Peter. Is it time to go?" I ask, he's nods I grab my mini white backpack and head downstairs for the car ride. Bridget, Eve and Peters mother are all standing there waiting for us. On the car ride I tell Eve all about England, and my brothers - again leaving out the part about Tom being famous- when we arrive in town Peter takes me to all of his favourite spots, like I did with him when he was in London. It was a prefect day, and it ended even better. We were standing on an old cobblestone bridge overlooking the Cities lights.

"Do you like it?" Peter asks, I can smell him. He smells like leather and soap. I turn to face him with my eyes glimmering, the sound of rustling leaves dancing in the wind fills the air.

"I love it! It's so beautiful." I look up at Peter and he looks down at me. My heart skips a beat when he puts his hand on the small of my back. "I uh, is this okay?" Peter asks, I nod. "I've never done this before" he admits

"I haven't either" I breath, "how do we do this?"

"We just do, I think." I wrap my arms Peters neck and stand up on my tip toes. We press our lips together, but it's messy and awkward. I pull away from Peter and giggle, "try it again?" He asks, I nod. His lips are soft, and taste sweet. This time is better, as we kiss he pulls me closer to him I can feel the beat of his heart against my chest. Time stands still, and we are the only two people in the world. When we finally pull away, we are both grinning from ear to ear.

"Thank you for making he weekend so special." I whisper to Peter. I grab his hand and we look out over the bridge, a perfect storybook ending to a perfect story book weekend.