Chapter 4: To swallow a bird

-          God! Stop moving! – screamed one of the men as he walked, carrying the angry kid through the lab’s corridors.

All the people wearing hospital robes were slowly walking around. They looked at the boy as they walked by with dead eyes, to which he looked directly into, and then continued their path. They finally reached a big metal door that resembled a vault the size of an entire wall, with the letter “C” painted on it. At the bottom there was a device that more or less looked like a digital watch, counting days without stopping. The man finally put the boy down, but held him still from his clothes. Will walked towards the door and put his hand on a scanner as the boy fought to break free. Will lifted his hand up and a black box popped out form the wall. He took out a needle along with a crystal tablet. When the director’s son turned around the boy noticed the needle, huge in his eyes, he was holding. He opened his eyes wide and desperately attempted to break free. He started screaming again when the second man held him still.

-          Stay still. – Will ordered. – Unless you want me to ‘accidentally kill you. - The boy started screaming again. – Can someone just shut him up?!

The third man, who was standing behind the boy, rook out a piece of cloth, rolled it and gagged the kid. Will walked closer and inserted the needle in the back of his shoulder. He put the syringe under his arms and put a password on the crystal tablet, followed by a finger print. The moment he did all that the number on the “clock” changed. That’s when the boy realized it wasn’t a clock. That number, bigger than the door itself, was people.

-          We’ll tattoo him tomorrow. I’ve had enough of him today. Put him in his cell, we’ll go fetch the other kids.

-          Yes sir.

-          At least now we only have to pick up three since James was close to the girl’s location. Put them in the same cell for now, we’re running out of rooms.

-          As you wish.

One of the men opened the, metal, cell door roughly and threw the boy inside. When he landed on the concrete he let out a “ngh!”. The boy lifted his upper body and removed the piece of cloth as the man slammed the door closed. He raised his head and noticed a little girl’s feet. He looked up and saw a little lady standing in front of him. She wore a torn, but pretty, little pink dress. Her hair was pink, like her dress, and was roughly braided. The eyes, which called his attention the most, were bright green. The little girl smiled, concerned.  And even though she wasn’t wearing any shoes, she was a princess to him.

-          Are you alright?

-          Uh… ye- Yesu!

-          Good! What’s your name?

The boy opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by a loud knock on the door.

-          Shut it!

‘Miguel’ looked around.

-          There’s no way out. – the girl whispered.

The door opened. The boy stood in front of her with his arm to the side, trying to protect her. A man came inside and without the smallest hesitation threw the boy aside.

-          Get out of the way. – He screamed as he walked closer to the little princess.

The man grabbed her arm and pulled her violently outside the cell. The boy was trying to stand up slowly, but when he heard the girl scream he jumped on his feet and ran towards them. The metal door closed before he could catch up to them and out of anger he punched it with both his hands. He took two steps back and looked to the side with a worried expression as he heard the girl scream.