hello

"hello." my mother said to me, when i was born into the world.

"hello." my mother said to me, when i came back from the first day of 4th grade.

"hello." my mother said to me, when she walked into my room on a sunday evening.  

"hi." i greeted her, not looking up from my stuffed animals. 

"daddy will be spending some time at aunt gilby's house for a while." she said, sighing. i nodded, but wasn't surprised since my parents have done this many time before. i kept my head hanging low, as i crept down the stairs and out the door. my mom ran after me, a half empty beer in her hand. she put her cold hand on my shoulder when i was going down the driveway. "lovey, have a great first day of 6th grade!" she tried to say with excitement, but it drained to sadness on the last word. 

"thanks i guess, even through its a crappy public school." i complained under my breath. she grunted, loudly. 

"well, that's all i can afford, lee." she told me, slowly walking up the driveway. i started in the opposite direction. once i got to the grey-mood school, i was trampled by sets of eyes of other kids, while i started walking to my locker. the blue paint was peeling off the wall, and the stench of still wet paint filled my lungs. but i continued on, like nothing was wrong, while all the other kids filed into the homeroom classroom with all of their books and materials. and me, just with a laptop and my book, that i like to get lost in. 

"lee? is a lee here?" i looked up from my book and at the teacher. her blond hair in a tight bun, her red classes, and she looked like she was stuffed in a blue and black striped dress, and her ankles, pouring out of the red heeled shoes. "are you lee?" she asked, pointing at me. 

"yes." i responded, quietly. 

"heathen." the kid across from me whispered, his hand in front of his mouth. i rolled my eyes. 

"alright. welcome to middle school." she told me, dragging her pen on her clipboard paper. i nodded, and smirked. she started to call out the other kids' names, but her voice dissolved, and i sat, the heathen i am, sitting in the back row.