Chapter 20-When Heaven and Hell Collide

Tanya offered oh-so-innocently to accompany Edward back whilst Irina and myself ran on ahead, but I kept myself planted firmly between the pair. Tanya was not sinking her claws into Edward - particularly not when he had just been recovering from his second vampire attack in a matter of weeks.

I was slightly shocked when Edward held the door open for me as we reached the porch, and thanked him quietly. The sentiment was more of what I'd expect from Rosalie's era, but not the twenty-first century. Then again, Edward never ceased to amaze me in so many ways.

Esme was with us in a flash, and, after shooting both Tanya and Irina a disapproving look, she ushered Edward into the kitchen, smiling as she ranted lightly about him not eating anything. Tanya snorted slightly as Edward and Esme disappeared behind the kitchen door, and I spun around on my heel to face her.

"Hold your tongue, Tanya," I snarled.

"I've said nothing, Isabella."

"Oh please. I could practically see the snide comment written across your face. I am warning you, Tanya; I am not in the mood to stand with your behaviour. I will not hesitate to throw you out of this house - literally."

I didn't bother to wait and listen to Tanya's response, and instead headed back into the living room in silence where I could hear Alice and Jasper, accompanied by the rest of my family - save for Esme. They all scowled as Tanya entered the room, except Carlisle, who kept his expression neutral enough to exchange the general pleasantries.

"What brings you by, Tanya?"

"Yeah." Emmett crossed his burly arms across his broad chest. "I thought you wimped out of this."

"Oh, we're certainly not here to participate in your suicide warrant." Tanya laughed haughtily.

"Then you are here why, exactly?" Emmett frowned.

"To meet the human," Irina supplied.

"He has a name," I snapped.

"Ooh. What's this? Feeling a bit protective of our wonderful pet, are we?" Tanya's smirk was gleeful, and it was only when Jasper clenched his hand down over my lower arm, holding me in place, that I reeled my emotions in enough to stay where I was and not rip that woman's head off.

"I wouldn't, Tanya," Alice said, very quietly, looking down at her lap. "I really wouldn't."

"Why? I'm more than a match for Isabella. She had to have her brothers finish off her work of killing James; she failed."

"There's a reason for that," Jasper said calmly. "She was saving Edward."

"Rather than avenge your own death," Tanya drawled. "Yes, very brave. Not cowardly at all. Oh, no, I forgot, I'm sorry. You have an attachment to the human as well as being pathetic. I see."

I growled low in my throat, struggling against Jasper's increasing tight hold as I tried to get at Tanya. Sweet Lord would I revel in the moment I could finally put an end to Tanya's infuriating, cruel, pointless existence. She deserved to die. What had I ever done to her to make her hate me so? And why did she have to torture me about something I was already torturing myself about?

"I'm warning you, Tanya. Don't." Alice shook her head firmly, but Tanya ignored her.

"How would you feel if I were to give your pet all the details of how you slaughtered innocent humans for decades merely for nourishment? Giving Edward details of the true Isabella Swan could be so much fun. To tell him about your-"

With a final wrench, I yanked my arms free of Jasper's grasp and flew at Tanya, my hands going instantly to her throat. Before I could do any more than sink my fingers into her slim white neck, I felt two pairs of hands on my shoulders, yanking me backwards and away from Tanya. I struggled for a moment, and then fell limp in my brothers' arms; it was pointless to try to escape the clutches of Jasper and Emmett together.