7

Ailani stirred early the next morning, awoken by the feeling of a plushy surface and a ringing in her ears.

She opened her eyes slowly to see that she was no longer perched on Magnus' shoulder, but instead situated comfortably on a mustard yellow couch that laid atop the recreation platform inside the Autobot base.

She sat up slowly, gazing around the room sleepily until her eyes fell upon the backpack she had brought from home — of which was propped up against the railing of the platform.

Ailani upturned her gaze, fastening it onto Ratchet, whom was currently focusing all of his attention onto the monitor in front of him.

"Hey," she called, capturing the Bot's attention almost instantly as his azure optics flickered in her direction. "Docbot, where's Peterbilt?"

Ratchet quirked an optic ridge. "By 'Peterbilt,' do you mean Ultra Magnus?"

Ailani nodded sleepily as she made her way toward the railing, propping up her elbows and leaning forward on her arms, fingers laced together.

"He went out to collect the remaining energon from our old base not to long ago," Ratchet replied curtly, tapping his digits against his holographic-looking keyboard. "We are preparing for his return now."

At the mention of 'we' instead of 'I,' Ailani took it upon herself to finally notice Raphael seated at a desk to the right of Ratchet, and in turning her head, noticed both Miko and Jack propped up against the same railing as herself. She smiled sheepishly and offered a wave to Jack, whom returned one of his own before a whirling ground-bridge was opened up on base.

"Return trajectory fluctuations have been stabilized." Raph called, turning over his shoulder to look at Ratchet.

"Ultra Magnus," the doctor began, pulling the bridge lever before turning to face the vortex behind him. "We are ready to receive you."

Ailani's gaze followed, and within moments the familiar frame of Magnus' alt mode came speeding through the ground-bridge, a singular cube of energon placed on the back behind his cab. Once Bumblebee had come to retrieve it, Ultra Magnus was quick to transform.

Ailani smiled fondly once her hues had locked with his optics, and received a small nod of acknowledgment in return as he made his way toward Arcee, Bulkhead, and Ratchet.

"We didn't find much else in the rubble of the former base." Magnus reported.

"You call this not much else?" Wheeljack questioned cockily as he came through the ground-bridge, holding up a ball of what looked to be bent parts of scrap metal.

Ailani watched with a crooked grin on her face as the Wrecker spun, throwing the large mass to Bulkhead, only for it ricochet off his chassis and slam right into the door Miko and Jack had been standing in front of, prompting them both to jump out of the way. The impact the ball had against the wall caused the platform to warble under Ailani's feet, eliciting her to latch onto the railing to prevent herself from falling over.

"Wheeljack!" Ratchet reprimanded immediately, a scowl prominent on his faceplate. "You could have caused serious damage."

"To me!" Miko added, firmly gripping her hips with a similar look adorning her features.

Ailani's attention was thus immediately captured by the door — of which was con-caved in by the metal ball — opening quickly. She tilted her head to the side as an attempt to peek inside, but was met with nothing but the obscurity of the ball.

"A little help here?" Fowler called from within the room, an irritated edge to his voice.

"What were you thinking, solider?" Ultra Magnus, whose voice boomed ten times louder than Fowler's, yelled as he stepped forward to scoop Ailani up into his servo.