Berry

The party buzzes with exaggerated clatter and laughter, stinging my ears in a way not exactly pleasant.

My numb, too-frail-to-be-normal fingers squeeze the berry coloured clutch that compliments the designer dress which clings annoyingly to my skin tonight as I stand awkwardly in the center of the party, feeling like decoration.

I fake grateful smiles to the passing guests and talk to the ones in hunt of a conversation. I let them believe I'm very happy they're here.

I don't understand the point of this. Why hold a party in the celebration of a cursed girl's birth? Are they here to rub it in my face that this day, the same day I was born; was the day my family died? It's just so cruel.

I don't want to flash smiles and talk joyously to these fake hearted people, who don't even care for my existence but are just here to show off their glamour and money. I want to hide in a dark corner of my room and wash the guilt and sorrow of losing my loved ones away. Because I don't belong here, to be honest I don't belong anywhere. I just try to fit in with my mastered facade and glorious manipulation techniques.

I smile a genuine smile for the first time during the evening when an arm links around my left boney one. My head snaps up to meet the eyes of my beaming best friend, "Jen, what took you so long?" I ask, pouting. Her blue eyes peer into my grey ones with love and adoration.

I've been best friends with this girl; Jennet Hawk since forever. We went to kindergarten together, joined the same middle and high school and are planning to get in a same college now. Jennet is the only person  I can always rely on, she has never once let me down in our fifteen years of friendship.

She's been there when I lost my parents and was an orphan child, held my hand through my messed up puberty and was the only shoulder, I cried upon when I lost my brother. I feel like she's the only person that cares genuinely for me. I do think sometimes I'm a burden upon her but I'm too selfish to let her go. She's my only real support.

"I was stuck in traffic, sweetheart. Happy birthday again," She wishes me the second time today with a kiss on the cheek, "And what are you doing here brooding? Let's go to the entrance and welcome the guests. Don't forget it's your birthday party!" She says as she starts dragging me towards the entrance.

Jen is always the one for pleasantries.

The berry red gown wrapped around my body is even more frustrating to walk in than it is to carry and to an onlooker I might seem like a clown trailing behind the most beautiful girl in the party.

Yes, Jene is beautiful.

She's curvy and tall with luscious blonde hair and blue eyes to die for. Next to her, I might look like a shame.

But then, when do I not look like a shame?

An instinctive smile flashes across my face once we reach the entrance and my eyes fall upon the approaching guests. I stand next to Jen for protection.

The man with a bulky stomach and bald head smiles at me in a sinister manner as he speaks, "Silk, you grow more beautiful every passing year. Happy birthday," I don't remember ever seeing this man in my life but I give him a nod of fake familiarity nevertheless.

"Thank you so much, please enjoy the party." I give him a dismissive wave as he puts his hand forward to shake mine. His eyes flash in disappointment before he stabilises it with a neutral expression.

Fake pleasantries!

He thanks me before walking deeper into the expertly lit hall. I feel a sting in my arm and look down to find Jen has pinched me. "Ow!" I moan, rubbing my arm. "What was that for?"
I pout as I watch my skin turn red from the weak pinch. No doubt that's gonna bruise.