V

July

The weather in Forge progressively improved over the weeks, and by July, we were getting sunshine and relaxing warmth every day.

“We should go to that new pool in the rec center,” Celia suggested one afternoon when we were lounging in Haven’s. We had completely stopped sorting and cleaning, since Celia’s mother had returned and had taken over the bookstore. Instead, we just sat around and talked.

“Swimming?” I questioned, scrunching up my nose.

“I love swimming,” Celia replied in response to my reaction. She raised an eyebrow. “Don’t tell me you hate swimming.”

“I hate swimming.”

Celia threw her empty soda can at me. “You’re a jerk.”

“I think it’s a great idea!” Mrs. Hawkins called from the Children section. She poked her head out from the shelf. “Swimming is great.”

Mrs. Hawkins’s looked an awful lot like Celia, with the exact same hair and face and personality. It was kind of creepy.

“I guess if you really wanted to,” I grumbled. “It kind of sucks though.”

Celia took my soda can and shoved it at me. Except this one wasn’t empty.

Sticky liquid spilled all over me and I jumped to my feet, shaking my hands to spray it all off. “Oh my gosh, you suck.”

Celia just snickered.

“Stop making a mess and just go swimming, for God’s sake!” Mrs. Hawkins yelled.

And that’s how Celia and I found ourselves standing awkwardly at the side of the pool, where there was literally no empty space. The water was filled with floating children with their dads and annoying teenagers who went to the local high school.

“So,” Celia said, “this was a success.”

“It makes me hate swimming even more,” I replied.

“How do these people even breathe is the real question.”

We watched as a teenage girl threw a beach ball at a boy, who yelled for it and instantly landed on top of a middle-aged man as he turned to catch the ball. We winced.

“Change your mind yet?” I asked her uneasily. I pulled the towel closer around my body, even though I was wearing a t-shirt.

Celia shook her head stubbornly. “Can’t let you win, Lucas.”

“But-”

She threw her towel off and yelled, “COMING THROUGH!” as she leaped into the pool.

I winced as she landed, and somewhat impressed. I had never seen a group of people move away so fast.    

When Celia resurfaced, dads were sweeping their crying kids up in their arms and shooting us glares. Celia grinned and waved.

“Coming, Lucas?” she yelled at me, waving her arms excitedly.

“No,” I called back. “I think I’ll go to the hot tub or something.” I gestured to the empty hot tub where only a fat old man sat in. I swear the bubbles coming up behind him weren’t just from the Jacuzzi.

Celia laughed. “But it’s nice and warm!” She swam in the little 3-foot space she had.

“That’s from all the pee,” I remarked. I padded over to the edge of the pool and sat down, sticking my toes in. It was unusually and grotesquely warm. Grimacing, I pulled away.

Celia swam and shoved her way towards me and pulled herself up beside me.

I sniffed the air and made a face. “Gross. You even smell like pee.”

Celia looked at me incredulously and turned her head, sniffing her shoulder. She shrugged. “I just smell like chlorine.”

“That’s what you think.

“God, you suck,” Celia said, exasperated. “How do you not just love water?”

“I love drinking it,” I said with a shrug.

Celia grabbed my head shoved it downward. I braced myself against the edge of the pool and glared up at her, my face inches from the disgusting water. “Nice try,” I said.

Celia smirked. “Just wanted you to have a drink."

I shook the water from Celia’s hand out of my hair. “Why do you love water so much, then?”

Celia smiled wistfully as she twirled her toes in the pee-infected water. “My dad used to take me out to this lake by our old house,” she explained. “He taught me how to swim and everything. I guess I just like it because it makes me think of him.” Her smile disappeared and she just stared sadly at the water.

“I’m sorry,” I said, and touched her hand gently. Ever since the night after Noelle’s visit, Celia and I grew closer than ever. We were extremely open with each other and I actually felt like she was my friend.

It felt good.

Celia smiled up at me and bumped my shoulder. “So what are you going to do about it?”

I sighed, and slipped my towel off. “Only for you,” I said before I slid into the gross water.

Celia laughed delightedly and jumped in after me. I tried to turn away from the splash, but some of the water landed in my mouth.

I choked and coughed. “Gross!” I yelled. “It got in my mouth!”

“Does it taste like pee?” Celia laughed.

I scooped up water in my hands and poured it all over her head. Celia just giggled and twisted away.

We probably stayed in the pool for another good half an hour splashing around and pushing each other before we decided it was time to wash ourselves and leave.

I found Celia standing beside the vending machine when I walked out of the change room.

“What are you doing?” I asked as I stopped beside her. She was staring intently at the bags of chips and bars of chocolate.

“I really want those, see?” She pressed her finger against the glass, indicating to the jalapeno baked potato chips. “But I only have a dollar and it’s two dollars.”

I flipped my pockets inside out and shrugged. “Sorry. I have nothing.”

“Whatever,” Celia said. She dragged me towards the exit. “It’s only like 2:30 and I’m starving.”

“I think Auntie Marie made some cookies today,” I offered as we walked down the streets of Forge.

Celia looked at me, horrified.

I laughed. “Don’t worry! She doesn’t need you to bake well now. She’s actually pretty good.”

Celia looked relieved. “Your house then.”