Chapter Four

Dearest Aeliana,

       So much has happened and you have only been gone for one day.  I know this letter will eventually reach you in Rome.  I wish you were here because what I am about to tell you, you may not believe.  Aurelius is back… he is alive, Aeliana.  He is now a gladiator and is supposed to fight in the games today.  Oh Aeliana, I am so afraid.  He has promised me that he will live but I have little faith.  And if he does live… what then?  I am promised to Julius.  I have told him that Aurelius is only an old friend but that is a lie.  My father has given me two months to find a man I can love but I don’t believe I need it.  It has only been one day and I know I love Aurelius. 

Mother would be so furious… father only wants me to be happy.  I would be the happiest woman alive if I was to have Aurelius.  Though we have been separated for ten years it seems like he never left.  Aeliana… with him I feel free.  When he kissed me I felt as though I could fly to the heavens.  I love him but I know I shouldn’t.  I should be a good daughter and do as my mother wishes just like every other woman in Pompeii.  But if I do that I must let go of my freedom. 

Oh, if you were here Aeliana you would help me choose.  But I know exactly what you would tell me to do… be with Aurelius… be free.  Either way I must make a decision by tonight… if he is still alive.  For now I must go dear Aeliana, there is much to do in the small amount of time I have.  Please write back, my friend.

~Sabina    

          Sabina read over the letter once before folding it and putting her seal on the melted wax.  “Livia, would you get this to the messenger.  It needs to get to Aeliana as soon as possible.”  Livia nodded and took the letter then left Sabina’s chambers.  At that moment Marcellus entered the room.  Sabina stood from her desk and bowed her head.  “Hello father.”

          “My beautiful daughter, you look troubled.”  Sabina looked at the floor.  “You worry about him.”  She looked up at her father, surprised.  “Come along dear.”  He motioned her to follow him out of the room.

          “Where are we going?”  She asked but followed him anyways.

          “To see your friend.”  Sabina smiled and quickly followed her father to the stables.  “Otho get Nero and another horse ready.”  Otho vanished into the stables and Sabina looked at her father.  He looked at her with a smile.  “You love this man?”  Her cheeks grew warm and she looked at the muddy ground.  Her father laughed.  “That is a yes.  Do not be ashamed, my dear, you cannot tell the heart what to love.”

          “I wish Mother was half as understanding as you, Father.”  They both smiled and Otho walked out of the sable with Nero and the other horse.  “Thank you Otho.”  Sabina said as she pulled herself up onto Nero’s back as her father got on his own horse.  They both rode into the streets of Pompeii and towards the amphitheater when the fighters were kept. 

          Two soldiers stopped them at the entrance.  “I must speak with Blasius.”  Marcellus told them.  One walked into the theater and returned moments later with Blasius.  “My daughter has some business to discuss with the slave her husband to be is purchasing.  If you would let us talk with him privately.”  Blasius nodded and Sabina and her father jumped off their horses then led them inside. 

          “The fighters never get visitors… they may act vulgar with her around.”  He warned while looking at Marcellus.

          “She will be fine, that’s why I am here.”  Blasius nodded and they continued through the tunnels under the arena.  Sabina made sure not to make any eye contact with the men as she passed their cells.