Chapter Two

Aurelius was no longer the ten year old boy hiding in the woods.  He was now twenty and called a slave.  After Sabina had left that day he stayed in the forest but was found in the middle of the night by Romans.  He was captured and taken back then treated like another slave.  As he grew he learned how to fight and now he was considered one of the best gladiators in Rome.  He fought and killed for the entertainment of others.  It wasn’t a choice; he was forced to fight for his life.  His owner was taking him to Pompeii for the games that were to take place the next day.  He looked at Mt. Vesuvius and then at the walls of the city.  He remembered this city, or at least the outside of it.  It was where he had first met Sabina. 

It was a rather hot day and they had been walking the entire time.  Sweat covered Aurelius’ skin making dirt stick to him and his worn tunic.  All he wanted was rest but if they stopped they were beaten so there was no stopping.  Aurelius looked out at the land then froze when he saw a black horse with long hair and a woman sitting on top of it.  She had brown curly hair and soft brown eyes.  She watched him just as he watched her.  Sabina.  “Get moving you rat!”  One of the soldiers said as they hit him with the stump of a whip.  Aurelius picked up his feet but did not look away from her.  It had to be her.  Even though she was now a grown woman she looked the same.  She looked just as bewildered as he did.

          Sabina looked at the man as he looked at her and felt a jolt of familiarity.  It was Aurelius… it had to be.  Why was he a gladiator?  Had he been caught just as she feared?  She watched as one of the soldiers hit him, making her flinch.  He caught her eye again and didn’t look away even as they passed her.  Sabina snapped out of her trance and made Nero ride to the city as fast as he could.  She rode through the gate and to her family’s villa then jumped off of Nero once she reached the stables.  She didn’t say a word to Otho instead she sprinted to the entrance of her home and ran inside.  “Father!”  She shouted and he walked up to her.

          “What has you so excited my dear?”  He asked with a smile on his face.

          “When are the games?”  He looked confused.  “The fights, Father, when are they?” 

          “I believe they start tomorrow, why?”  Marcellus asked his daughter.  He had never seen her this way before.

She thought for a moment then spoke.  “I… I wanted to go…” 

“You never showed any interest in them before, what has you so excited now, Sabina?”  He looked at her in disbelief, she had always hated the games and had never wanted to see one her whole life. 

She couldn’t tell him the truth so she thought.  “I thought I would try it at least once.  No doubt my future husband will enjoy the sport.”  Her father smiled from ear to ear. 

“You are no longer a child sweet Sabina, I am proud of you.”  He put his hands on her shoulders and she smiled.  “We will go if that is what you want.”  She nodded.  “I will go tell your mother.” 

“I’m going to go out father.  I wanted to go to the marketplace.”  She told him and he looked at her again.

“On your own?”  He asked with worry in his eyes.

“As you said, I am no longer a child.”  She gave him a smile and he laughed.

“That I did.  Be careful my dear.”  She nodded then turned and left the villa.  She walked to the stables and grabbed Nero.  She wasn’t going to the marketplace that was a lie; she was going to see Aurelius.  She mounted Nero then rode through the city and towards the amphitheater, knowing that’s where they were headed.  She knew the soldiers wouldn’t just let her talk to him so she had to have a plan.  When they were in sight she jumped off of Nero and dusted herself up with dirt on the ground after making sure no one was looking.