Chapter 6

The house was different. The outside was still the same old blue faded color that reminded me of old summers and dreams. And the inside was still filled with the same furniture that filled all the houses we lived in since I was Alice’s age. But the way that my mom and I moved around each other, was different. I still didn’t want to know what she was talking about when she said she bought something from Freddie. I had an idea, and it was highly illegal, so I didn’t want any part in it. Thanksgiving had blasted by like a blur; we never did anything for it. Mom ordered pizza and planted herself in front of the television. Alice and I sat in her room and I read to her all day, because she told me that’s how she wanted to spend her Thanksgiving. But now it was two weeks until Christmas, and I actually wanted to do something for it. But I knew my mom wasn’t going to get us there.

I needed to figure out how to get money to buy a present for Alice, and to make a little feast. Whenever I thought about Christmas I got mad, mostly at mom because she never bothered to be sober for Christmas these past couple of years and give Alice the proper Christmas I used to get every year. I didn’t realize how much I’d miss those until they were gone. When I hear the sound of a car sliding up into the driveway, moving the snow out of its way; I get up to see who is there. I walk out of my room; dragging my feet along the carpet, which was a habit I couldn’t seem to break. I open the door and wince as the cold hits my face quickly; I glance to the driveway and see Cory’s Civic sitting there. He’s still inside, and he sees me at the door; he makes a motion for me to come over and I look down at my feet.

I look around the door for a pair of shoes, because I’m too lazy to go walk inside my room and get some. Luckily, I find some slippers next to the door. They are a little worn on the sides, but I shrug and slip them on before I walk out to Cory’s car. I shiver as I get into the passenger seat; and we sit there in silence as my body warms up again to the heat coming from the cars air vents. I look over at him and try to smile, but a yawn breaks it.

“So I have a surprise for you.” Cory starts; his voice is hushed and anxious even though we’re the only ones in the car. “Look in the trunk.”

I roll my eyes at the thought of having to get out of the warm vehicle, but he pouts a little and it instantly wins me over. I open the door and quickly make my way to the back of the car, and see the trunk is already popped open for me. I see a long piece of rope that looks almost new, like something you’d find hanging from the ceiling of a Gym. There is also a decent sized tire, which looked used but not worn. I make a face as I slam the trunk down, making my way back to the heated air.

“What the hell do you have in your trunk? The items to kill somebody?” I give him a look, what am I supposed to think of that?

He rolls his eyes and grabs my hand. It wipes the look off my face; it was irritating how much I changed around him. Not in personality, but he just made me feel calmer. “It’s the makings for a Tire Swing!”

His voice relays his excitement from earlier; I look around the front yard. There’s a tree perfect enough for it off to the left of the sidewalk leading to our door. “That’s perfect! For Alice?”

He sends me a grin and nods. “I thought it’d be perfect. Obviously, you couldn’t use it during winter since it’s too cold. But during the summer? It’ll be great.”

“I’m sure she’ll love it.” I lean in and kiss Cory, and I enjoy the warmth that is brought from him to me as I rest my hand against his neck. He flinches though, probably at the coldness of my hand. Which makes me smile, and eventually I pull away before he could deepen the kiss.

“Are you cold blooded or something?” he glances at me and makes a move to get out of the car, turning the keys out and open the door. I shiver as the cold chases away the heat that just occupied the car. I grab his hand, gently tugging him towards my door. I didn’t have an answer for him, so I settled on sticking my tongue out at him. Maybe if I fattened up I’d be warmer, I’m sure he’d love that . . .