Chapter 4

I gawk out the window at all the sights.

"There's one of the Smithsonians!" Kylie exclaims. My eyes widen to capture the tall museum.

Kylie's mom lets us off outside the building. "Have fun girls, and be safe! Keep your phones on at all times," she instructs.

I roll my eyes, but Kylie happily agrees. "Sure thing, Mom!" We slide out of the car and set our feet on the ground. Kylie and I push through the crowd waiting in line for the museum. When we get to the front, we enter the building and look at all the objects stored in glass boxes, like prisoners in a jail that can be viewed

We ooh and aww over the Hope Diamond which is on display in a rotating dome with several security guards surrounding the exhibit. After snapping a few pictures, we wander back onto the streets.

We spend the next two or three hours ducking into touristy shops, large museums, and gorgeous flowering parks. The sun warms my back to the point of sweating. I never sweat. I glow. This. Is. Awful.

"Can we stop inside somewhere and buy a soda? Preferably somewhere with air conditioning," I whine, fanning myself with the Smithsonian brochure.

"Yeah," Kylie agrees. She scans the area for a place to rest. "Look over there!" she points to the recognizable Subway sign. "Let's stop at Subway."

I nod, and we run into the sub shop. We order two medium sodas and walk over to the machine to fill our paper cups with fizzy liquids.

Kylie manuevers her way to an open table. I sit down across from her and begin the flow of questions. "Ok, so what's different about you? Besides your new look of course. There's just something about you that seems...," I trail off, unsure of how to describe it.

"Different?" Kylie smirks, referring to the word I used previously.

"Yeah, that," I smile over the lip of my cup.

"Well, I accepted Jesus into my heart last summer. It's changed my life in so many ways!" she squeals.

I raise an eyebrow. "You sound like our mothers."

"All their ramblings about God and Christianity really got to me last year. I sort of hit a rough patch. I decided to actually listen during church instead of doodling on the bullitens. And He helped me through it!"

I waggle my eyebrows. "Oooohh! Who's he? There's a guy in your life, eh?"

Kylie sighs. "No! He as in Jesus! He changed my life!"

I roll my hazel-green eyes and toss my curtain of red hair over one shoulder. "Uh, unh," I say, disbelieving.

She looks down next to her and then all of her features freeze. I have no idea what she's looking at until her hands emerge from under the table with a black canvas book. A thin red ribbon threads through the pages as a page marker.

Something about the book came off as mysterious. Kylie slides the book into the center of the table so both of us can see it. I move my hand and flip the cover open.

I move my fingers over what is on the front page in awe, and Kylie gasps beside me.

..........................................................................

oooh cliff hanger. ignore any mistakes since im writing this at 1:32 am. My brain feels fried. :p well yah... night y'all. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. oh hey this is not my best story. i have a favorite child though. and its name is The Big Break. a part of it is on wattpad. go and read it!!! :) ok im about to fall over dead. gnight peeps. (")>