Thirst Bound

"Simmer down, simmer down!" Ms. Adams said, tapping her pointer against white board. Barely five years into her high school teaching career and she'd put on more stress than she thought possible. Her lack of a sex life made it worse for her, though none could blame her; she'd caught her late fiance cheating on her with her would-be maid of honor. Since then, she subconsciously avoided having any sort of an intimate relationship with another man. 

As the class settled in, Ms. Adams turned her head to a particularly empty seat. 

"Where is Nolan?" she asked lightly. The class gave no response. "Well then you can tell him he's now failing my class, and he can either deal with it, or show up at five to my class. That is, if you see him of course." With that, Ms. Adams, went through the motions, asking about light refraction and reflection, then moving onto the photoelectric effect. When asked why humans can't be partially two things like light is, and she responded with a suggestion to ask the biology teacher, the class bubbled with laughter. Needless to say, she had a rough day. 

* * * * *

When five rolled around, Ms. Adams found herself sitting at her desk, grading quizzes and entering grades. She breathed out deeply, running her hand through her loose brown hair. She paused for a minute, catching her reflection in the monitor that had fallen asleep. She saw nothing but what to her was a plain picture.

Simple, blemish-free face with almond-shaped sea foam green eyes. Pastel-pink lips, her fair skin free of any sort of tan. She sighed softly, thinking for the umpteenth time why she couldn't seem to attract men the way some other women did. Was it her boobs? Butt? Waist? Stomach? Thighs? She looked down at each of these in turn, noting her proportions were perfectly fine. She shook the thoughts from her head and continued her work. 

She flinched and snapped her head towards her door when she heard a gentle knocking against it.

"Come in." she said cautiously. To her surprise, Nolan stepped in. She noticed how handsome he looked as the light from her window shined against his blue eyes and frosted brown hair. She blinked and tried to focus.

"What was that?" she asked. His lips had moved but she hadn't been paying attention to what he had said. 

"I'm here about my grade." Nolan repeated. She almost never misses a whisper. What's up with her? He thought. Nolan noticed her lax appearance; her straight brown hair that was normally tied back into a pony tail was loose around her shoulders, and she had untucked her white shirt from her slacks. 

Ms. Adams was confused for a second, then remembered. Shit! I didn't think he'd actually show up.  

"Ah...yes." she said simply. "Well...have a seat, I'm nearly done grading these papers." Nolan sighed under his breath. I shouldn't have to be here he thought. Why'd I even bother? Oh yeah...my mom will have my ass if I fail another class. That was the only reason he really put up with any of his teachers. If it were up to him, he wouldn't even be in school. 

As Ms. Adams finished grading the quizzes, she thought about what to do. She was upset when she told the class about Nolan's grade; she hadn't actually planned on just failing him. Though, he was in danger of it. She stood and went around her desk, sitting on the front of it and crossing her legs.

"Why don't we start...why do you not show up to my class Mr. Bradford?" Nolan shrugged.

"Dunno...why do you show up to work?" Nolan asked.

"I come here to make a living, and to supply my students, including you, with an education in my field of study. And if you would be so kind, Mr. Bradford, as to answer my questions with suitable answers, not evade them. So again I ask you, why do you not show up to my class?" Ms. Adams said this all carefully, as if she rehearsed it.