I'm Right Here

"Come on, Y/N. Answer the damn phone," Stiles' panic levels rose as once again he heard her voicemail message.

"Hi, this is Y/N. I'm not here right now, but please leave a message. Unless you're Stiles, in which case I am not coming over to watch Star Wars for the fifth time this week," he resisted the urge to laugh at their little inside joke, knowing that it was totally inappropriate given what she was probably going through right now. She'd used her powers a lot this time, and he knew that she'd be absolutely terrified. Only he knew the consequences of her supernatural ability, and only he could reassure her.

He hadn't been there this time, so he only dreaded to think what was happening in her brain right now. He needed to know she was okay, needed to know that she was safe.

He couldn't imagine what it was like not being able to see anything, not being able to know his surroundings. He only knew that he would want some comfort as it passed, which is why he needed to be with her right now.

"Y/N, it's me again. I just need to know you're okay. Please, please just let me know where you are. I'm worried."

She could hear her phone ringing, but she couldn't get to it, couldn't see where it was. She hoped it was Stiles calling, wanting to make sure she was okay, just as he always did. But he wasn't here now, and she was alone, the world drowned in darkness. Waiting for it to pass by herself was awful, and she hoped she would never have to go through it again.

It was then that something broke the agonizing silence, and Y/N froze, ready to attack. She knew that it meant spending more time in this seemingly everlasting darkness, more time alone, but if it meant staying alive, then surely it was worth it. The footsteps grew closer and just as she raised her hands, she heard a familiar shout of surprise that almost made her smile.

"Woah, woah, Y/N, it's me. It's me, Stiles," she breathed a sigh of relief as she lowered her hands, allowing herself to fall into his arms, the tears finally falling from her porcelain eyes as she inhaled his warmth.

"It's okay, I'm right here. Just listen to my voice, okay?", Stiles stroked her back as he held her, and for the first time that day, she felt safe.

Stiles struggled to express how he felt when he found Y/N. Relief at finally finding her, sorrow for what she was going through, unconditional and unrequited love. The last being one that he would never tell her, not as long as she looked at him for support, not wanting to be the one to ruin it all.

So Stiles just did what he did best; ramble. He rambled on about everything and nothing, about random facts that he'd discovered on the Internet, about all his little movie theories, all his crazy ideas, smiling when her mind wandered away from her torment, laughing at his awkwardness. He tried to ignore the way his heart lifted as music left her lips, stroking her arm as they sat together, waiting for it all to pass. Waiting for the world to open up to her again, her eyes returning to their beauty.

"Stiles?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you. For everything. For keeping my secret. For being here. I don't know what I'd do without you," he almost kissed her then, his eyes flitting down to her lips. He almost kissed her then, he almost changed everything.

Almost.

When it was finally over, when the first thing she saw was Stiles' face, his honey brown eyes looking down at her with nothing but affection, Y/N almost cried in sheer delight. She almost kissed him.

Almost.

Instead, she stood up, shaking off her former terror, shaking off her feelings towards her closest friend, knowing that he didn't feel the same way about her. She hugged him once again, inhaling that familiar warmth, before jumping in his jeep, waiting for him to drive her home. He climbed in after her and put his key in the ignition, smiling at her as she thanked him for what seemed like the millionth time.

"You okay now?"

"I think so. Thanks again, Stiles."

"Well, you know where I am if you need me. I'm only a phone call away, Y/N. Who knows? Maybe I'll be calling you again soon, if you get what I mean."

She laughed at him then, reminding herself just why she loved him as she did.

"I already told you on my voicemail message. I'm not watching Star Wars with you. It'll be the fifth time this week."

"Since when is that a bad thing?"

It was then that Y/N realised it really wasn't.

Not as long as she was with Stiles.