26. Option and Decision

Chapter 26: Option and Decision

Mindara Manaying

Flashback

Yam surely could not contain her jealousy when she was all green with envy upon realising where Kimhan had missing for almost an hour. She found us at the park where there were only Kimhan and I at that moment. Then as if we added more fuel to the fire, she flared up when she noticed that I had a giant turtle toy in my held; the thing she presumed as if Kimhan sneaked out to have some fun with me. I could feel her wrath when she threw a look at me. The hatred emanated from that gaze and those actions which spoke louder than words; everyone could tell that she was not fond of me. She hated the idea of 'sharing' Kimhan together. To Yam, Kimhan should supposedly be hers and only hers. I wish I could tell Yam that I have no interest to snatch Kimhan away from her.

"So you leave me all alone just to be with her?" Yam fumed with anger. The dreadful look in Kimhan's eye explained everything. I have never been this conflicted too before. She caught us and holding us on a hook.

"Yam, please calm down." Kimhan played it safe.

"How can I play it cool when I know that this girl is messing up with my guy?" She pointed a finger at me, accusing me over the thing that she had no idea about.

I wanted to protest but Kimhan forbad me with an eye contact. My urge to argue died down and all I could do was containing the remaining patience that left in me.

"How many times do I have to tell you, Yam? Pie and I have nothing special with each other. We're friends and there's no such thing beyond that." Kimhan said and I cringed inside. If Yam figured out the truth, Kimhan might not be forgiven for her white lie. She needed to lie forever until the business between us was completed. It could take some time.

"C'mon. I didn't come here to witness your argument." I interrupted. "Get it over it Yam. I mean no threat to you or even your relationship with Kimhan. Why would you make it so complicated?" All eyes were on me by the time I finished talking. Yam was less tense than she had become previously. She went quiet with no more words left to rant.

******

5 months later...

Time might have flown so fast while I barely noticed it but the truth was, it wasn't. Sometimes I found it was unbelievable for me to accept the fact that I made it through; I had been here for almost nine months and I had endured everything on my own. Fern was right about a few things; it was not that bad as I thought it could be. I survived the life here even though it lacked of certain things. Day by day, I learned how to adapt and improvise any sources around me for a better teaching process. I appreciated the gifts from Mother Nature to add some fun in lessons. Who says that you need computers, projectors or any gadgets to perform well? Limited internet connection? Well no problem.

What happened to Kimhan and me?

I had never returned to Kimhan's place ever since the last overnight. The fight with Yam had somehow affected my relationship with Kimhan and that led to my decision of not coming back to them. Yam made it as if I am a home wrecker and I could not bear such accusation. Kimhan on the other hand could not do much about it. She was in huge dilemma whether to tame her girlfriend or stand up for her wife. I would not blame her though; we agreed that the secret should be sealed securely from Yam's knowledge. Owing to that reason, Kimhan never drove me back to school neither picked me up anymore. I asked Puey to get my car so that I could commute on my own. I found it was easier for me to plan for my own journey because I could go back to the city and return to the school whenever I wanted to. Most importantly, there was no Kimhan's involvement.