Prologue - EDITED

In the midst of a dark, chamber-like prison, a young woman with long, lusciously flowing black hair kneeled down, enclasped with rusty chains on each of her wrists. Her body was hunched down and she was wearing a white, mourning hanfu that was dirtied on the edges and bloodied at the tips. Her head was bowed, and her hair fanned the sides of her small, flawless face. Her thin lips were tilted upwards in a mocking smile as her dark and gem-like eyes darted left and right in scrutinization.

The guard outside sighed as he regarded the woman. His heart thumped when he saw her frail-like figure being forced to endure like so because of the current emperor.

Speaking of the current emperor, he has sent out a decree, demanding for the woman to appear before the royal court to repent for her sins. The guard was grateful that the woman was going to finally be released from such a filthy and unfitting environment, but he knew that the only thing that awaited the woman was death.

Truly, it was a pity. This living goddess of perfection, her only destination would be the yellow springs.

The guard used the key to open the prison door and cleared his throat. Seeing that he had her attention, he ushered her to the main palace with her chains trailing behind her. Even with such a humiliation being seen by passersby, the woman walked confidently as though she was the empress herself. Her shameless behavior sparked plenty of jealousy and hatred from the noble concubines and royal consorts, but the woman paid them no heed as she continued to casually walk to the royal court like she was not a prisoner whatsoever.

Like the game was all in her hands.

Finally, when they reached the royal palace, the woman paused. The announcer was stunned at her sudden appearance, but quickly announced her arrival to their emperor. Slowly, the tall, imposing gates of the main palace opened and the woman walked inside.

All eyes turned to her, but one pair of eyes in particular seemed to scorch her soul. They seemed to be yearning yet despising her simultaneously. The dark, phoenix eyes belonged to a regal and handsome face, so handsome that it seemed surreal. The face seemed sculptured to extensive lengths, almost in a teasing way. Almost like it dared the woman not to desire this man. But the woman had already given up on any type of love or desire. To her, he was her last mission before her freedom.

Her freedom from the wretched, endless seduction of men. Her freedom from being so beautiful that it brought her more harm that good. Her freedom from the Ultimate Goddess System.

He was her last mission. She would succeed.

"Xiao Yunhua," one of the ministers called out fervently with accusation, "temptress! You have violated palace conduct and confused the princes and the emperor!"

The woman, Xiao Yunhua, silently listened with her expressionless face, her head bowed as the ministers ranted and scorned her for being a she-devil. She didn't bother to deny their rumors because in the end, more rumors would be created. Why care to stop what was never going to stop?

The emperor raised a hand and stopped all the voices. The only sound that remained was the sound of breathing, which for Xiao Yunhua, wasn't much. She wasn't breathing anymore. Locked in a metaphorical and literal chain, she was forced to be and to do things that she once envied the beautiful girls did. But now, if she could go back, she would; to Hell, to Heaven, to the midst of purgatory...

Xiao Yunhua was so close to victory. He was her last and final conquest.

"Yunhua..." The emperor's deep voice hoarsely called out, "Why?" Seeing her remain quiet and ignore his question, the emperor's phoenix eyes flashed with anger. Hurt. Rejection. He stood up from the comfort of his dragon throne and slowly descended to the kneeling woman. Seeing her head bowed and her beautiful hair blocking her face from others' sights, he felt relieved. Already, so many yearned for her despite his constant interference.