II. Dementor Girl

chapter two, dementor girl

🌷

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"LENA, IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE papers yet, then I strongly advise you not to look," Magdalena's best friend, Louis Loverett, said to her on the first of September whilst on the train. He, himself, was leaning over a copy of the Daily Prophet, reading furiously, if it were even possible to do so. "Yeah, I definitely wouldn't recommend it."

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh, come off of it, Louis, it can't be that bad," the final member of the trio said with a scoff. Valentina Moren (or, more simply, Val — 'unless you want a Diffindo to the neck', as she'd once rather dramatically and aggressively declared) then leaned over to read the paper that the boy beside her was holding. Magdalena watched her face change as she did so. The smug look that the girl had had before promptly fizzled away upon seeing the contents of the paper.

⠀⠀⠀⠀She looked at Louis. "Oh. That's not good."

⠀⠀⠀⠀Magdalena truly felt as though her blood had left her body. The event had happened well over a week ago, why were they only now deciding to release something awful about her? And what could they even have said? Knowing journalists and their habits, Magdalena had little hope that it would be something minor.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"I could literally kill someone for writing this," Val said through gritted teeth. "Not that I really know how to, but I'm sure I'd find a way."

⠀⠀⠀⠀Louis shook his head. "Killing is a little drastic, Val. Just a good smack on the head would do fine. It should knock some sense into them, anyway."

⠀⠀⠀⠀Magdalena, being a mute, could not do much besides sit there in frustration and wait for the pair across from her to explain what they were finding so ridiculously awful. She could, of course, lean over and grab the paper out of their hands, but she doubted she'd be fast enough before one of them lifted it out of her reach. She sighed, a little defeatedly, and sunk back into the seat on the train.

⠀⠀⠀⠀But the pair then only started laughing.

⠀⠀⠀⠀"Oh my God, Lena, we were just joking," Val giggled loudly, throwing the paper across at her in the hopes she would catch it. "They don't even know who you are, look. They haven't named anyone at all, not even the others that made out with Dementors."