I. Tragedy Child

chapter one, tragedy child

🌷

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀THE SOUL IS QUITE POSSIBLY ONE of the most magical concepts of the body. Philosophically speaking, a soul represents a living being's mental capabilities: reason, character, feeling, consciousness. Though in terms of wizardry, the soul's true representation is of a person's happiness — what stores the most incredible memories; contains the antidote to sadness; keeps them alive inside.

⠀⠀⠀⠀The Patronus Charm is something that best enhances this power — the requirement of resurfacing only the purest happy memories ensures that no person ever forgets what makes them smile. Despite this, there are many wizards and witches who remain unable to conjure a Patronus, which should lead a person to believe that they are not internally happy. Sometimes, a person is simply incapable — nothing more, nothing less. Though more often than not, their reason for inability and failure falls at the feet of experience — how is a person to expect to see a physical form of their own happiness if their life has solely been a misery?

⠀⠀⠀⠀For a fourteen-year-old girl by the name of Magdalena Parkinson, this could not summarise her life any more perfectly.

⠀⠀⠀⠀It was ironic, really, how sad the girl was. Primarily, her life was not the most tragic tale you'd ever heard, but rather one with a couple of integrated melancholic points, if you will. Of course, the fact that she was a typical, rich daughter of purebloods that lived in a particularly grand house, with more expensive items inside of it for her parents to spend their time bragging about than they actually had time to live was a seemingly great factor of her life. She agreed with that statement, she supposed, but there was more to her story than she cared to admit. For example, the way that her parents weren't particularly skilled at covering up the fact that they weren't entirely in love. Or perhaps the idea that her entire family — extended, even — were incredibly sexist, and any boy born into the family may as well be crowned king as soon as they entered the world.

⠀⠀⠀⠀Women, on the other hand, were made to marry men, pass over legacies and watch as their fathers, brothers, husbands and sons stood proud and strong in their successes, as though posing for a photograph in the papers. That was all Magdalena had been taught since she was young, and it was very nearly all she believed.