epilogue

THE FOLLOWING DAY, Pansy Parkinson was due to be expelled from Hogwarts. Much like there had been a gathering for the school's guests' departure, many students crowded the Entrance Hall and watched as the girl's black hair hung over her face as she trudged towards the center of the room. Near the front door, Mr and Mrs Parkinson were eyeing their daughter with a mixture disbelief and fury.

Dumbledore began his spiel again, stating his full name and the power he'd been granted by Snape and the Minister. He charged Pansy for disorderly conduct and taking advantage of another student, and directed his attention towards her parents. "The Minister wishes to know if you'd like your daughter's magical abilities stripped or not. If they are not stripped, she will be issued a wand in which no harmful spells may be cast and no real power can come forth from it. Her magic will be under observation for the rest of her life."

Mr and Mrs Parkinson looked at each other, and then at the pleading look on their daughter's face. "Strip it."

"No!" And now it was Hermione Granger racing forward to stand between the headmaster and Head of House. "You can't do this!"

"Miss Granger!" Professor McGonagall's voice was shrill.

"Professor," she pleaded. "I can't let you do this. Sure, what Pansy did to Blaise was wrong, but she doesn't deserve to be expelled."

"And what claim do you hold over Miss Parkinson's punishment?" Snape's nasally voice asked with disinterest. This whole situation was becoming much too drawn out.

"Because, if it wasn't for me, Pansy would've never kissed Blaise in the first place. I'm the one who left her heartbroken, so her actions were completed on my behalf. Punish me, not her." She ranted.

"No," Henry, the third-year Ravenclaw stepped forward. "Punish me."

More and more people stepped forward, claiming their placement in this whole scheme. The teachers watched as more and more students rebelled against the law.

"Punish me! No, punish me!"

Professor McGonagall stepped forward and spoke to the headmaster. "You can't very well punish everyone."

"Silence!" The Hall fell silent, and the headmaster shook his head. "While it is honorable to see the house unity in this room today, actions must still be taken."

"Detention, then." Hermione claimed. "Give us detention. Don't expel us! I personally will serve as many episodes of detention as you deem necessary, Professor Dumbledore, assuming you release these charges against Pansy."

"Hermione," The Slytherin girl pleaded. "You're going to ruin you life!"

"I don't care." The Gryffindor said, taking Pansy's hands. A fierce lioness protecting her own. "I only care about you."

A collective awww.

"Very well then, Miss Granger," Dumbledore said. "I will leave it up to Professor McGonagall to decide how much detention you will serve. I think we're done here, Severus."

They released their hold on Pansy, who collapsed into Hermione's arms. "You're so stupid," she sobbed. "You very nearly ruined everything!"

In response, Hermione just held her. Mr and Mrs Parkinson insisted on taking Pansy home, seeing as they were already at the school. The girls spent as long as they could holding each other, and when it was time to go: as Hermione headed off towards the train and Pansy went with the Parkinsons', they shared a smile. An unspoken promise. It's not over yet.