chapter six

A BEAUTIFICATION POTION was due to be brewed that rainy Wednesday morning in Potions Class. Gryffindor and Slytherin were paired for said class as they usually were, and Professor Snape wasted no time in showing favoritism to the students of his house. That was, however, until a loud smack! could be heard throughout the classroom and those sitting in the front, including Hermione Granger and Neville Longbottom, turned to see what had happened.

"Miss Parkinson, I do believe this is the second time I've had to call you out for not paying attention in my classroom. I believe a change in seating is in order, as obviously Miss Greengrass is too much of a distraction to you." The professor's nasally voice degraded his student, and then he turned and cast his eyes around the classroom. Neville made the mistake of not adverting his eyes, and this sparked something within Snape's dark, cold ones. "Mr Longbottom, you and Miss Parkinson will be trading seats for the entirety of this potion. Move."

Neville's mouth opened in shock, and he turned to face Hermione with a pleading look. She frowned and kept her gaze cast downwards. "Hermione, you've got to make him change his mind! I'll fail without you..."

"I'm sorry Neville," her voice was barely above a whisper. She looked as though she wanted to say more, but then a presence made itself known behind them.

"Ahem, I'm fairly certain our professor just told you to move, Longbottom." It was Pansy. She had her textbook clutched tightly against her body, cauldron hung off her arm, and a far-too-pleased expression on her face. The blond, pudgy boy stood slowly, gathered his materials and made his way towards the back amongst the Slytherins. The dark-eyed girl took her seat beside the Gryffindor and kept her head faced forward.

Hermione stared at her in shock. The Potions Master had given everyone permission to move about the classroom and gather their needed supplies for the potion: unicorn hair, fairy wings, ginger root, etc. However, both of the girls remained seated, the Gryffindor's arms crossed over her chest with an indignant look on her face.

"You had no reason to speak to Neville like that." She scolded her new Potions partner. "He's done nothing to you, absolutely nothing."

Pansy turned and eyed her, eyebrows raised in a mocking manner, as if silently asking her, 'are you done?' She blew a breath. "I don't have to have reason to be mean to Longbottom. He's pathetic, and I'm constantly left in wonderment as to how you can associate with someone like him: he brings shame to your house's name."

Hermione stood, chair scraping against the floor as she did so. Her caramel-colored cheeks were tinged a deep red with anger. "I think you and I have a very different idea as to what brings shame to a house's name, Parkinson."

The Slytherin watched as her Potions partner stormed off towards the supply closet. It was minutes before the Gryffindor returned, sidled alongside her ginger-haired friend and Potter, and by the way she gesticulated as she spoke, the black-haired girl knew she could only be ranting about her. She glanced back towards where all of her friends and housemates sat, catching eyes with Blaise. He sent her a wink, gesturing towards the irate witch and she rolled her eyes.

"You'd do well in weighing the ingredients." Hermione spat once she'd returned, dropping everything onto the table. She then began to light her cauldron and double-check the directions she'd written.

"Isn't this potion typically meant to fend off ugly things, such as Red Caps and the lot?" Pansy asked, now attempting to make small-talk with her partner. The brown-eyed girl just gave her a look as she moved to pull her brown, bushy hair into a ponytail.

"If it's ugly things we're trying to get rid of, I fear I'll soon be working on this potion alone." And that was a low blow, even for Granger. The girl realized this: Pansy could see it in her eyes, though she appeared to be biting her tongue from apologizing. And yes, the Slytherin honestly felt as though she deserved that one. After all, Granger could've just been referring to her personality and not her physical appearance, right?